1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Easier to flesh fresh or frozen?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by vahunter, Jun 19, 2013.

1. vahunter

vahunter New Member

I've taxied 2 ducks and they took me a good while (fleshing on a wheel took a the longest probably). Hoodie and a buffie, and they were pretty fresh, maybe a month in the freezer max.

To be honest I was kinda dreading starting on the 3rd which is a lesser scaup. It had been frozen for maybe 6 months. It seemed to me to make a world of difference. Something sure did. I'd fleshed this one in half the time the other 2 took. I'm sure it's not technique. The fat seemed to separate from the quills and skins like magic.

What causes this? Length of time in the freezer? If that's the case I will never flesh another fresh bird haha

2. shammy

shammy New Member

If ya did 2 and say it took 2 hours, just saying, and you did one in half that amount of time, 1 hour. Isnt that the same amount of time for each bird. lol

3. vahunter

vahunter New Member

Haha maybe shoulda reworded that...1hr on first, 1hr on second and 1/2 hour on third....as an example. All 3 birds were done at three separate times.