1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy math ignorance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, Jun 19, 2013.

1. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Life size open mouth wolf mount on a nice habitat base for 900. total. That is what a Arkansas full time taxidermist that "does great work" and comes "highly recommended" is charging a sometimes local client of mine. I tell you sometimes it is downright depressing how stupid so many taxidermists in this country are.

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    He's probably a part-timer, and not worth losing any sleep over. It's not your business ... it's his, to run his way. You keep doing the top notch work you do, and don't worry about what some other schlub is charging. You know what your work is worth ... in time, quality, and the skill you put into every piece. You will always get more work and satisfaction than the other guy! In short - and I mean this in the kindest way, James - 'mind your own business'. ;)

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Real estate prices Cody Wyoming
    http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Cody-Wyoming/
    Average Listing Price $446,151

Little Rock Arkasas
    http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Little_Rock-Arkansas/
    Average Listing Price $269,527

Your wolf should be almost twice as much in price to afford your extra taxes and the cost of where you live.

4. gab

gab Active Member

form eyes and shipping $500.tanning $100.habitat base and materials $100.I don't care where you live that's your expenses,at the minimum.$200 net BEFORE incidental expenses

5. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

This was my thinking. It was not losing any work. I can barely keep up here. I just think that as my chosen career and profession it is depressing that so many taxidermists, even very good ones do not value their work or time or even know or understand it. In a way it drags every taxidermist and the industry as a whole down. I guess it will never change.

6. mimes

mimes Member

I agree James. I lost customers last year to a price increase, but my time is more valuable than a 200 net on that much work!

7. My bet is the person is going to use DP on it. at $900. thats not even making a dime if you tan it or have it tanned.

8. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

What would your price have been?

9. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Dave, My wolf prices $2595.00, no base, base extra. Open mouth $250.00. Average small rock base like the one I posted 2 weeks ago. 450.00

So my wolves run just over 3,000.00 on average.

If it comes in split and turned and flesh free, good and salted. I'll credit 200.00 for prep work.

Jim, it will never change, 90% of all taxidermist are hobby or part timers that want experience and not money, they make money to pay their bills at their OTHER job.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Jim, I love people like that. You know how hard we work to earn out 25-30% of every dollar, we see folks fail all the time. Hell, I have failed and re-risen only to kinda/sorta succeed (I'm still broke but can pay bills ;) )

Life's lessons are the best and your customer and his taxidermist are fixing to learn a big one :)

I also agree 100% with JB, it's none of our business.

11. I'm from Arkansas, but it wasn't me!!!

12. *

I Disagree JB and Mikey...it is our business and our industry lowballers drag everyone down. They produce a substandard product , they know their quality cannot demand a higher price. Like Gab states it drags the whole industry down and devalues everyone work and lowers EVERYONE's income.

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I know the feeling. I quoted a minimum $1000 on a 130 pound half lifesize black bear this week and the guy about had a heart attack. Didn't get the bear, but I don't work for free. However I learned long ago to forget what others do.

I agree with * that I don't like lowballers, however I think WE are as much to blame for our own predicaments.

14. gab

gab Active Member

he was probably highly recommended by a buddy getting a kick back though I don't see how he could afford kickbacks.guy across the street from me is $200 less than me and give ranches outfitters and guides a $50 kickback on every piece.

15. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

It's a service business, my dad and grand dad were both self employed in the service industries. They had the same problems dating all the way back to the early 1900's. It will never change, People are afraid if they charge too much they won't get enough work, when in reality, that's just not true. Why is it the taxidermists with the highest quality and highest prices have the best clients and the highest volume? I never worry about what the other guy is doing, it's none of my business, I don't focus on the work someone else gets, I concentrate on the customers that bring me work and make sure they have a good product. I price my work to where I can make the kind of living we want to make, if the work dries up then I'll do something else because I'm not going to work for just wages, I can do that somewhere else with a lot less headaches and have weekends off.

16. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Ive seen it here with the part timer's on cost as well. I had a guy that wanted me to flesh, salt a longhorn. I gave him a price of around $250. He didn't like the price, He told me he only charged the guy $500.00. After further conversation he didn't even know what the tannery was going to charge him or what the price of the form was, he figured it was just like mounting a deer.

17. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

;D ... :mad:

sounds all to familliar... i have nothing nice to say about the subject, as the subject of my discontent frequents this magnificent site also.

... just cant fix stupid ...

18. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

I understand the complaint. But did all of you start out at your current prices ONLY doing work for "high end" clients? Even major league baseball players had to go through little league. IMO, the hacksidermist doesn't hurt as bad as the guy who does above average work and low balls prices, that's the one bringing you down!

" the shnozberries taste like shnozberries "

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Sorry Dennis, me & JB are right (holy #%^* did I just say that?!?! LOL! :) )

Yes it is our industry, but it is their business. They can charge what they want to whom they want when they want.....whatcha wanna do, set up mandatory pricing schedules? If not, let them fail & mind our own business.

20. *

ISN"T this a site for information about the BUSINESS of taxidermy also ????

We want you to get better stuffing stuff, but we also want you to fail in business....LOL