1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy math ignorance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, Jun 19, 2013.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

LOL I was just waiting to see that one gab... good job !!!!!!

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I just sit here SMFH...

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I am only a hobbyist so I really don't care how much or how little anyone charges. I know if I were actually going to do any commercial work I would charge near whoever was the highest in the area. That would just be smart business and also keep those who don't want to spend any money out of my hair!

This is a prime case of a guy who failed math in school. We have a guy who charges $350.00 for a head who gets twice as much work in as Bill charging $810.00. In the end, he makes less than Bill and at the same time he does twice the work. (Not to mention having to deal with twice as many phone calls asking when their mount will be done, along with twice as many calls to tell them their mount is ready to be picked up) What was that about having time to go to the their children's Little League games? Good luck with that to the guy with the $350.00 mounts.

Do the math! (If you don't know how, let me know and I will help you; I am a math teacher!) In this case, MORE $$$ = LESS WORK!

Vic

4. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

But don't forget, success in taxidermy means getting all the work. It amounts to " I win if I take in 200 deer and only lose $25 each" as opposed to" I took in 25 deer and made a PROFIT of $200 each."

5. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just an observation.

You guys/girls are doing a job that requires:
    Specialized Training
    Special Tools
    License and Permits
    Exposure to chemicals and dusts
    On going education to stay current
    A Tolerance for gore
    Artistic talent
    A eye for nature
    Business sense
    Public interaction
    And countless hours.

Regardless of what Joe Public thinks and says, Not everyone can do what you do. How many know someone who Thought it was easy, tried it and washed out? I know a couple and I'm not in the business. It's a tough trade and relatively few can pull it off. I would keep that in mind when setting my prices. IF I WERE in the business ;)

We just finished a project for a company who called us last August. Almost a year ago. He asked our rates, I told him, He fell over ;D and we never heard from him...Until last month. This time there was No dickering over money. He told us what he needed. We supplied it in a quick and efficient manner and finished up on Friday. Everybody parted happy. I have no doubts we will work together in the future. Had I caved we could have done the same work last year.....For Less.

6. I'm wondering if some guys even know what they are making per hour, after expenses, including all overhead. $5-10

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire