1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy math ignorance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, Jun 19, 2013.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Amen, Darius!

2. Darius

Darius Member

The businessman accumulated money to support his retirement. It was wise to plan for the future. Yet, what sort of life was he living in the present? The businessman was so future-oriented he hadn’t taken sufficient time to question what today looked like. The businessman was living for what the Mexican already enjoyed—a simple life well lived.

I’m not suggesting selling everything and moving to a small coastal Mexican village (although, personally this is an appealing idea). We should aspire to be successful in our careers. .

Rudyard Kipling, gave a commencement address at McGill University in Montreal, said there was one striking thing that deserves to be remembered about people. Warning the students against an over-concern for money, power, or popularity, he said, "Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are."

The businessman discovered how poor he was when he met the Mexican fisherman.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I don't want to eat fish everyday on a Mexican or any other beach, in my days those were called worthless beach bums.

I don't live a simple life...Don't want to, never will, I work hard, play when I do, harder.

4. gab

gab Active Member

nobody wants to make a profit,just break even.profits are taxed at confiscatory rates.
    China is more capitalist than we are.And Russia is protecting our whistle blowers from our government.
    things are getting a little ass backwards around here.

5. *

Aint that the truth

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That's the beauty of America. You don't HAVE to live how the other guy wants to and vice versa.

That's the America our Dad's and Grandfathers...and the founding fathers fought for.

I like your work. You are very talented. You are successful. You are IMO a good guy.

With your intelligence why would you even care about the issue?

If I were to philosophise It would seem you AREN'T happy in your lot in life. ???

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Jim Tucker - Philosopher! ;) You hit the nail on the head, Jim.

8. *

JIM, sorry to get to you, I consider you a friend and you are a great guy.
    I guess as I get older it seems that nothing will ever change, I was hoping in my lifetime to actually see out profession treated and seen as a real profession in the eyes of the public. Maybe accomplishing 99% of what I wanted too and not seeing this happen bums me out, I always play to win.. I am grateful for al I have set out to do and did it, but this will never be....We are not professionals in the eyes of the pubic. We are hobbyists. I still run into people that say...your a what,.....I tell them....then they say.... what else do you do? And I say Nothing...that's my profession..The response...Really , you can make living dong that?, My little nephew does that also.

As for HAPPY! I LIKE my life, Love me job, Do what I want, when I want to, Buy whatever I need or just want, Hunt for anything I choose to, cost is not an issue. A Have a great wife, she makes my home perfect and we are happy .The best 4 dogs in the world, 2 wonderful grandkids, 3 pain in *ss young adult kids. LOL And support anywhere I turn at home and work. Typing is typing toh ear me speak of this and be in the same room would give you a different philosophy of me.

90% of ALL taxidermist DEVAULE their work and their skill out of FEAR they will fail....and that hurts the entire INDUSTRY!
    If Every Taxidermist raised just his/her deer price $100.00 the ego of the hunter would not effect the bottom line of any taxidermist...and your income would increase with NO extra work, No lost free time, Nothing in your chosen life would change in fact you'd have more money to do the bumming around...AND MAYBE we wouldn't see a 80 to 90% business failure rate of start ups...

You should not be able to get a taxidermy licsense till you take a business class... how about that...

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I was 6 in 1982. :D

10. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

sounds like to me everyone is a lowballer!, taxi A charges $500 but taxi B charges $525, so that must mean that A is a Lowballer, Even if he is 25 miles From Taxi C who charges $400 for a shoulder mount, which would really mean C is the lowballer, But when in Reality C charges $15.00 and inch for a fish and both A and B charge $11. Which means they are Both lowballers!!!! Everyone just charge what You think you are worth and Piss on the next Guy. Thats the problem everyone has to know what everyone else is doing. IT AINT NUN YA!!!!!!!!!!

11. *

LOL Cole your funny !!! 8)

Thanks for the laugh my friend !!
    D

12. Im in a small town with several taxidermists im higher than all of them, hunters come into my shop and tell me well so and so said to take it here or there because youre way too high, i ask well what do they say about my quality? oh they say your the best lol, its funny really i dont mind those guys being cheaper they save me a lot of time from answering the phone from price shoppers, ive got more work than i can handle and yes i take in more deer than all of them.

13. STANDING UP CLAPPING !!!!!! Best words spoken yet on the whole damn thread.. CLAPPING SOME MORE !!!

14. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

The National Average Price In The US; East Coast VS West Coast

Fish 12.87 Per Inch
    Small Game.. Life size Fox, Coyote, Raccoon 748.19
    Elk Shoulder Mount (Non Bugling) 911.34 Bugling add 189.34
    Repro Fish 19.65 Per Inch
    Deer E-Mounts 111.34
    African Kudu Shoulder 1284.44
    Sheep Shoulder Mounts 784.21
    Life Size Squirrel 199.21
    Mule Deer 602.49
    Moose 1264.36
    Whitetail Deer 598.27
    Bear Rugs 169.00 a foot
    Wolf Full Body 1789.78
    Waterfowl 347.11
    Caribou Shoulder 799.70
    Turkey Full body Strut 689.54

These prices are from 100 lowest and 100 highest.This is a Base average of Taxidermy Prices at Todays Fair Market Prices.If you are way below these prices by 10% then you are lowballing the market.BreakThrough Magazine should do Research on This Subject.I know back in the mid 90s, they put out a survey on prices.(If you take out the the 10 lowest prices and also the 10 highest,THE FUNNY THING IS The price averages goes up roughly 13.7% for all listed averages!!!!!!!

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

According to who?

16. Crittercoroner

Crittercoroner DUDE, your uselessness is epic!

nj
    I'm too blury eyed to remember who made the argument about things costing the same wherever you go being a lie, but I have to giggle at that.

Let's keep it strictly to necessities for that argument. Gas varies greatly, but it's still up there, over 3.80 today. What did it cost to drive that vehicle off the lot new, betcha it's really close to what you can get it for here. How about a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread, pretty much the same here. One of the only things that's going to change is how much tax you are going to be paying. What I pay in taxes would be the same rate as someone with a good amount of acreage elsewhere.

Someone said they were happy making 30K a year. That's 20something K below the poverty level here.

George had a great post somewhere back around page 4 or 5. Taxidermists in general are absolutely the dumbest business people (ain't that funny) people on the planet.

I didn't start doing this to make friends and do their work for next to nothing. I wanted to make money. They toothless guy who needs to sell his yearly collection of beer cans to pay off his euro mount is not going to put my kids through college and I sure as hell don't need any more friends like him than I already have.

Taxidermy is a luxury, and anyone who can't get that through their pickled heads deserves what they get. If you're worried about keeping the guy who should be putting diapers on his kids instead of a ratty deer head on his wall happy, perhaps you should put in an application for a job as a greeter at Walmart. You'd probably be happier and have some sort of benefits beyond some stories of the guy whose double wide is being repossessed.

Profits good, bankruptcy bad. Simple concept. The more you charge, the more you make, and maybe you'll be able to retire unless working til the day you get put in box and planted sounds appealing to you. Swing the golden bat when they walk through the door. Swing it hard. Swing it fast. Swing it a lot. Thump them for everything you can get. Give it away and the only thing you're hurting is you and yours.

17. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Still no response to all the full time guys charging 375-400 for deer heads. Seems like allot of undue hostility towards part time guys.

18. *

Good glad to see I'm 15% to 40% Higher than these numbers..... ;D

19. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I tried to get food stamps to me some govt. cheese and peanut butter....they told me if I made over "11,000 I was "chit out of luck"

I'm having a 'Govm'nt cheeze party" at my place. Everyone's invited but it's going to be "BYOM". Bring Your Own Maceroni. LOL!

20. EA

EA Well-Known Member

One of the hardest things to do is move someone off their comfort zone.

You can show them a dozen reasons why they should switch gears. Until things in their life change and Force them to make a move, they will hold tight. They are terrified of the "What If". What if I pizz off my clients. What if no one brings me work. What if I'm not worth that much. It's hard wired into some peoples personality and that just the way it is. Nothing you can do about it.