1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy math ignorance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, Jun 19, 2013.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Dang it Jerry, thanks for pissing in my cornflakes. I have been called many things but not a lowballer, till now. I guess a price hike should be in my future here, at least on bigfoots.

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Id opt to Freeze Dry! Since all the reference pics are Blurry

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Freeze drying is out. You keep the carcass and sell steaks and bones.

4. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Could you imagine if they brought you a unicorn and wanted big foot riding on that ?? unreal what you could charge for a mount like that . Yes even freeze-drying would be tough as my largest of my three Northstar machines is only a 36 x 66 inch chamber and that would be a tight fit . just for big foot . LOL

5. gab

gab Active Member

we're $1200 per linear foot of lifesize skin for big feet.pretty much just our zebra price plus about 25% for unicorns.no ones complained about our pricing yet.

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

How do you get the core out of the horn?

7. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Depends on If it is a Spiral one or Not.

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

What's the plural of bigfoot, bigfeets, bigfoots, big footers, big footees?

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes Bryan, good reference pics are very expensive, I just wing it, and let the skin tell me where it goes. ;) As far as unicorns are concerned a sprinkle of ferry dust is all it takes to preserve their horns, no need to remove.

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

San Francisco is two hours away. Ought to be able to get plenty of Fairy Dust there.

11. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

A guy just brought over a nine pound twenty eight inch rainbow from a pond. A beautiful fish, I quoted him eight bucks an inch so he told me I could just have it. I skinned it out and now he's on the grill! I wonder what shape he'd been in if he was quoted by one of you guys for twenty bucks an inch?

i'm thinking he would be in the emergency room with a heart attack! I'm glad that's not on my conscience!

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    M.T. I am glad it worked out for you, at least you get a meal out of it. I personally don't eat anything that I don't bring through my shop doors, God only knows what was done to it. I don't like to turn people away but if $8.00 an inch is too high for him I don't really want him as a customer any way.

13. Jer

Jer Member

I have a low baller nearby that's killing me. He does a bigfoot for $2K less than I do....I haven't taken in a single this year.....

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Wait until you see what I'm getting for mine. I kid you not! LOL

15. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

3bears, the guy is a good friend. The fish was still alive, he caught it out of his pond just down the road. A beautiful fish, I ate it and now I will mount it and sell it. it did work out!

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    There you go that's thinking.

17. For the argument everything cost the same everywhere. Maybe you should read this.
    Jim T. I think your statement just got validated.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-8-least-expensive-states-to-live-in-the-u-s.html/?ref=YF

18. So I live in the 5th cheapest city in the USA (http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/the-8-least-expensive-places-to-live-in-the-u-s.html/5/). I guess that explains why less than 5% of my work is local. Fascinating link.

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

And MT...youll sell it for what...$8 per inch? Like you quoted.

Some of you guys charge prices I havent charged since I was in my 30's....and Im in my 50's now. Yikes. Im not buying the cost of living thing either, as I have travelled to many states, and still a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, a hamburger all is prices pretty much the same regardless.

Show me a state where you can buy half priced trucks and half priced houses, and youll have made a valid point doing taxidermy at 1980 prices.

I think if some guys were as creative at charging a good wage as they seem to be finding ways to be creative at justifying their low pricing, theyd do much better.

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

$8 an inch???