1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If this was your bear?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Joes wildlife artistry, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Joes wildlife artistry

Joes wildlife artistry New Member

I got this bear a few weeks ago in Alaska and it's missing its right ear (totally gone). If this was your bear would you mount it like it is or give it an ear? Just wanting to hear some opinions.

Attached Files:

2. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Personally, I would mount it as-is (sans ear). Absolutely everybody will ask you about it, and you can recall the story when they do ;) Congrats!

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

No question about it. As is.

4. Leave it as is it gives it character just like strips of velvet on a bucks antlers or dirt from scraping and even that blow hole buck that a guy on here mounted.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I really have an aversion to mounting anything NOT as is. Adding a tine that was broken before you shot it, removing scars, etc. Definitely mount it as is.

6. xWolfHauntx

xWolfHauntx New Member

PA
    I agree with that masses, I LOVE seeing things as is! ESPECIALLY if it has some awesome looking scar tissue. Either way he'll be a unique piece. In fact, I would personally mount him up fighting another bear!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

I Agee. Adds character and prompts questions, like he must have been a fighter!

8. fougair

fougair New Member

As is, i think it will give it character and will look great! Nice Bear

9. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Another vote for as is.

10. Joes wildlife artistry

Joes wildlife artistry New Member

Thanks everyone. I just made up my mind.

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Leave the Bear as is. The missing ear is part of this Bear's own story ... its personal history. Have the remaining ear laid back slightly, so as not to bring the missing ear to the forefront ... as would happen if the ear were mounted alert. Our Black Leopard is missing her right front leg - it was amputated when she was a youngster, after being attacked by her own mother - yet whenever clients look at her, no one even notices this fact.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

I think everyone has pretty much summed it up. Personally, I love the character and as stated, you will always have the story behind it. Nice bear btw!!!

13. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

Very nice bear! I would also go as is :D

14. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

As Is, no doubt!!!

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yep,
    as is for sure. Bear looks great and I would be proud to have taken him, with or without the ear! Congrats!

16. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Lol I wouldn't mount it at all lol.. I don't like to change what it had, but I don't like my mounts to look broken either..

17. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Mount it as is, period. That's the way the animal was when you harvested it.
    That would be the most accurate way to to do it.
    Some of my customers want to fix a broken tine on an elk, deer, what ever. Why? That isn't what you shot!
    I can understand if they shot off the tine, or if it fell, and broke it, but if it didn't have it when you shot it, why change it?
    Back to what I was was saying... THAT, is the animal you harvested at that time, mount as is ;)

18. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

Another one for the no plastic surgery party...Is not "a bear" is "your bear". And your bear have only a ear. Anyway, looks a big one!

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

sorry but I am a perfectionist and believe its our duty as taxidermists to preserve the animal at its best....with 2 ears..,,but it depends if you are trying to preserve your specific "tophy" or create an anotomically correct showroom piece.......its your call