1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best largemouth blank

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by iltrapper, Jun 20, 2013.

1. iltrapper

iltrapper Member

Got a customer needing a 6.5 lb largemouth replica. The fish measures around 23" long. Who makes the best blank as far as price, detail and ease of finishing? Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-S5830M using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

People will probely dog me out for saying this but Archie Phillips new blanks are real easy all u got do is take them out of the box and paint them and have a dang good price on them too!

3. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Lake Country replicas. The Arp replicas sold by Mckenzie are decent replicas, I have never seen a nice replica from Archie Phillips

Todd B

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not much into replicas with warm water fish, but Mike Kirkhart of New Wave has some exceptionally good LM replicas and mouth inserts.

5. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

X2. There are more good ones I am sure if I think of them. Just go to the top of the page to the supplier listing and check out the replica makers. There are a lot to chose from.

6. jakecs

jakecs Member

Archie Phillips have a very good price, but they are primed in silver so when you finish it, your bass turns out real dark. I would prime it in white and then finish to make the lighter colors. I was told that from Don Frank as he judged our show this year. The fins are also very think and need to be thinned down to look right.

7. George

HUH? Why would silver make a fish darker. Sounds like horsespit advice as far as I'm concerned. Silver is a great primer and reflector of paints. Unless mirrors are an optical illusion that is. If it was painted in brown auto primer, I'd still paint the fish in Cover White ("cover" being the operative word here) and then start building my other colors on top - one of which is SILVER pearl.

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Price, detail and ease do not go together

PRICE - Archie

Detail - Lake Country, Starfish

Ease - depends on what you think is easy. The ARP and LC ones are pretty easy. Most companies offer "ready to paint" options as well.

IMO all of the blanks out there have there good and bad points.

9. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

X2....My choice for largemouth would be Lake Country, then Arp 3d unless you could get a custom mold from one of talented guys on here that do them (Josh, Rich, Randy, Don, etc)......

Pictured is an AP. I bought it specifically because of a statement made a couple years ago (not yours Todd) that all AP blanks look like crap. This isnt my best work, but for the price, it made a decent gill......

Attached Files:

10. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

Brian that's one good looking paint job I mean really good!

11. Really nice gill Brian all I can say is don't drop it because it will break into a million pieces. I know I've been there.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Painting over those Archie silver fish will make them look dark. Horsespit or not, they look like crap. Starting with a bright white base will give you a good canvas to start from. For my reflective base I like using a touch of silver (or something similar) on the back of the fish, and gold pearl and chrome pearl on the sides and belly. This makes a nice reflective base to paint over without darkening the fish too much. For competition I do it differently, starting with a toned base, then wet tipping each scale with different silvers, pearls, and chrome pearls to build a base, then paint the fish from there.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

As for best blank, none are perfect but there are plenty of decent ones. LC, Wynia, New Wave, Dennis Arp, and Natural Cast all have nice largemouth blanks.

14. George

So Cole, what does "dark" white look like when you paint over that silver?

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

grey

16. George

LOL Smartass.

17. iltrapper

iltrapper Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sent from my GT-S5830M using Ohub Campfire mobile app