1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whinks help!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rvandonsler, Jun 20, 2013.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Good advice! I use Whinks in one of my final rinses. The bird needs to be rinsed well after using it, because it can cause feather damage if not rinsed out well.

2. vmax

vmax Member

I prefer Iron Out powder over Winks.....they both get the stain out but what I have found with Winks is it only seems to take the color out of the mineral, but leaves it in the feathers. After you do a Winks rise you can still feel the roughness in the feathers from the mineral. When I use Iron Out Powder it removes the mineral as well leaving the feathers smooth and laying nice.

James nailed it on the head about a second soak with baking soda to neutralize the acid. I have heard of some cases where the bird was not rinsed well enough and the feathers started to yellow over time. Not 100% sure it was from the acids....just don't want to take the chance.

As of late, the only stores I have been able to find the Iron Out Powder is in all the ACE Hardware stores

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

all I can say is ...wow...no way......just used whinks on a badly stained pintail and baldpate....they came out pure white in a couple minutes