1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gloss Choice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by luke19231, Jun 21, 2013.

1. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

I'm just wondering what gloss provides the best look for a reproduction fish? I'm getting started and used a rattle can and didn't get the finish I was looking for. I've heard automotive gloss works well but don't know which brand. I've also heard polytranspar competition wet look provides a nice finish as well. Any information helps.

2. I use triple-thick (spray can).

3. den007

den007 Active Member

Rustoleum 2X is great for the price and availability. Supply house cans I used to buy, up to over $10 per can. No longer!

The stuff mentioned dries quick, and is a great gloss.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Enviro-Tex for me. Mix, brush it on, whisk with a torch to remove bubbles. Best gloss I've ever used

5. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Triple Thick is good stuff but for goodness sake you have to put it on one thin layer at a time, it will melt your paint in a second.

6. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

This is ONE of those topics that appears on the fish forum again and again. Type "fish gloss" in the search box and you'll find a whole slew of posts on this subject.

7. X2
    Klear Coat is same product as enviro-tex, but less expensive.

8. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

Years ago I used to get some gloss from van dykes in a glass bottle it was some good stuff don't know why they quit handling it. I use enviro tex now but I'm always looking for something better!

9. iltrapper

iltrapper Member

I use rustoleum crystal clear enamel.

Sent from my GT-S5830M using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! ;D

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

But we like saying the same thing over and over again, LOL!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

COME ON Perca, you don't really expect anyone to use the archives, do you??????????????

13. What rattle can did you use?

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I typically use Triple Thick, but I'm convinced that there simply isn't that much difference between most of the glosses. I'm also convinced "operator error" causes 100% of the problems with any of the glosses used. Triple Thick being the most difficult to lay down properly. I also disagree that an automotive gloss gives a better shine. I've used them all and I now can get just as shiny with most of the rattle can - especially T.T. The big differences with an auto gloss are ease of use (they're pretty much idiot-proof) and longevity. Now, I know some are going to jump in here and disagree here. And that's fine. But, I would also challenge them to look at some of my fish and tell me which ones I did with an auto gloss and which ones with a rattle can. I guarantee you unless they have bionic eyes they will not be able to tell the difference. 10 years later - maybe they will though.

Auto Glosses: Easiest to use to achieve a great shine. Durable and long lasting. You don't need as many flash coats. Drawbacks include clean-up time and the need for a paint gun. And, they're highly toxic w/o proper ventilation.

Triple Thick: Difficult to use, especially for beginners. The tight spray pattern of most rattle cans is what makes things difficult. Great shine if laid down properly with practice. Portable, so you can spray outside. Drawback(s) include clouding (which always goes away for me if I simply leave it alone) or bubbling if laid down too thick or too warm. And, it's softer (so I think it dulls over time). And again, some people never grasp how to lay it down properly and therefore they cannot achieve the same look as an auto gloss. (This can be said for all rattle cans btw. Most of the time it's operator error IMO).

Krylon Crystal Clear Enamel: One of my new favorites. Seems much easier to lay down vs. Triple Thick and I can get by with only one flash coat.

Painters Touch: I haven't used in years due to lack of availabilty around me. But, from what I recall it performed very similarly to Crystal Clear Enamel.

Painters Touch 2X: Similar to Triple Thick in it's thickness and usage. I think it's a little less temperamental that T.T. though. Biggest drawback is the tips clog often. If you don't use it all in one or two sprayings, many of them clog and you end up tossing half the can.

Taxi supply (air brush paint) companies waterbased glosses. Safer to use. But, too runny for my taste and they take too long to dry. Plus, I could never get the shine I can get with the other stuff. Might be operator error on my part though. Who knows.

Bowens can of gloss: Too expensive and I never quite grasped how to get the shine I could get with other rattle cans - which IMO they performed much better for 1/3rd the price. The carpiest gloss choice out there IMO.

Never tried the Envirotex stuff for glossing so no experience here.

Also, if you can find graffiti tips that spray a wider pattern on your rattle cans the wider pattern makes things much easier. Triple Thick has one of the narrowest patterns/stock tips. That in itself makes it very difficult to use w/o lots of practice. Of all the rattle cans I think I would recommend the regular Painters Touch or the Krylon Crystal Clear Enamel. Both the easiest to use of all the rattle cans IMO.

Ultimately, IF you have proper ventilation and don't mind cleaning the gun, auto glosses are tough to beat as far as ease of achieving a good, consistent end result and longevity. Rattle cans take practice and some take a lot more practice than others. But, I like being able to spray outside. Humidity is the only issue you really have to watch for. Sometimes, I have to spray inside if I'm on a tight deadline and the weather isn't cooperating.

Keep in mind, just my opinion...

15. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Good to see you are still here Marty. You have always been full of....lots of helpful information. [​IMG]

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Hey now! ;)

17. Matt

Matt Active Member

18. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Now here is my two cents worth. I use rustoleum lacquer gloss. I also use a hair dryer to heat up the surface of the fish. After I warm the fish up I start spraying the lacquer. After I spray it, I apply more heat and this will stop the paint from running. I have also found that if you will use the hair dryer immediately after you spray...it stops the flow of the finish. I use this method with three coats of finish and I always get a nice thick layer of gloss that shines like crazy. Just what I do.