1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gloss Choice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by luke19231, Jun 21, 2013.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Just gotta be careful with the heat with certain glosses. Triple Thick especially will bubble if the mount is too warm. I've sprayed a cpl times outside when it was REALLY hot (but not humid of course) and a cpl of bubbles came to the surface with the T.T. I also NEVER use heat if I get clouding with T.T. Heat sometimes creates MORE clouding with T.T. and or will bring bubbles to the surface. Leaving it alone for 30 minutes usually solves the clouding problem if you happen to spray when it's too humid. Occasionally, I'll have to hit it with one more wet coat again and that resolves the other 1% of the clouding that would not go away via just leaving it alone in a humidity controlled environment. Probably wouldn't have any problems IF I sprayed inside with the A/C going. But, I like to keep the fumes outside. So, I have to watch the humidity with whatever gloss I spray with. FYI, I also typically rolll my fish after the final spraying for a minute or two just to make sure I don't get any runs...

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

All right you guys, lighten up. With that kind of talk I'm a "Never wuz - never will be".

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Not the 2x

If it is good enough for custom painted motorcycle tanks and helmets, I guess it is good enough for fish.
    Still holding up on my boat's dash board.

PB

Attached Files:

• PT.jpg
      PT.jpg
      File size:
      5.9 KB
      Views:
  4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I've used Triple T, Rusteolum, luv envirotex, and occasionally I have used a hair dryer. I'm always afraid of mixing a spark from an electric motor with paint fumes though. Outside I don't mind but if inside everytime I hit the button my but puckers up. LOL! I seldom do it anymore.

While we're on this subject, How many believe there's any validity to the claim that there's a fungiside in poly sealer? I think it's already been discussed before though.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Unless you're glossing inside a 3'x3' sealed box, I doubt even Myth Busters could replicate any combustion! Be more concerned with your lungs if you're glossing inside.

There might be some fungusidal component in the glosses that claim to have it. But, I don't think it does anything and I doubt it's necessary. I know too many long time fish taxidermists that have had zero issues by just using a basic gloss as their sealer coat. Or, no sealer at all as well. I like a light sealer coat simply because it helps me see any areas I may have missed when rebuilding...