1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished, African Lion Articulation, pics

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Skullery, Jun 24, 2013.

1. This is my first articulation I just completed today. It is a 20 year old male African lion. I can only say I am extremely satisfied, more than I thought I would be. For quite a long time I wasn't even sure I would ever want to tackle a project like this. I wasn't even that crazy about the idea to begin with, not sure how much I would like an articulation. That has changed in a hurry. As the project got further along I became more excited about it. Now I surprised myself for it is my favorite piece in my whole taxidermy, skull collection etc. already. It truly felt like a labor of love. As far as the work on it , it was challenging and time consuming. I would have to say if I didn't love it I would hate it. So that's it for now until I can figure out exactly were to put it in my cramped shop. Thanks for checking it out. I am thrilled!!!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That is really intensely cool. The deer leg sort of detracts from it in my opinion. Maybe the owner of the upstairs domain might relent after a while. :)

3. Yeah, I'm with Sea Wolf... I think it looks better without the deer leg. That might be because it's mouth is open so the bone looks out of place, or maybe it's the color difference, or just simply distracting. But the lion itself is entirely badass! Amazing job!

4. Thanks for your opinion. Do you think the leg should be out of the picture altogether, or should it just be at the feet? I see what you mean, thanks again.

5. Just my opinion mind you, but I think with it's mouth open like that and the pile of bones at its feet, might sell look like it was warning away fellow predators quite well. That might look pretty cool, but I didn't put in the work and it isn't mine, so you gotta go with your own vision! :)

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Your articulation and bone work are too good for any distraction. Trash the legs.

7. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

Do away with the deer legs. Very nice :) :)

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Do a skeleton of an impala. Hang skeleton by the neck in a dead pose. Place neck in lions mouth. :)

9. I agree with others. You did a very nice work on this skeleton, especially for a first articulation. And of course the species add a lot and it's a chance to work on a such animal. Perfectly normal that this skeleton is now you favourite, no skulls can beat it. ;) To do a little critic, I see some irregularity in the ribcage and the feet (this come with time). Claws aren't enough retracted for a rest pose. Is it an injury on the right shoulder join ? I think I understand the opposition between the perfectly cleaned lion and the "raw" bones from the fresh prey's leg but still think it would look better without... A horse/zebra would be more valuable to catch for a lion than a very fast and relatively small deer or a small gazella.
    Lions always eat lying on the ground (like all big cat), using ground as "third hand" to manipulate the bones to break and use their paws to do lever. Just tips from a natural history documentary addict...
    Hope you will keep to do more skeletons.

10. Enjoying all the comments. Sounds by the critiques the bones need to go. Thanks for the compliments and taking the time to critique. For the natural history addict, yes, there is damage to both shoulder blades where they connect to the humerus bone. I was told this was common on old zoo cats and I think so because I am cleaning another cat now and it has the same problem. I tried to fix it up a bit but not that good at it. All of your points are well taken and thanks again to all of you. Very much appreciated. Skullery....Jeff

11. Nice ;D

12. Awesome lion, especially for a first articulation!
    The sculpted cartilage is quite transparent in comparison to the bony parts, are you planning to paint it for more realism or leave as it is? Or the difference is not so obvious depending on lighting?
    Artificial zebra skin goes well along with the lion. However, for the prey bones an African species fits better - a damaged antelope or baboon skull.
    Btw, which species your second big cat is?

13. I was a bit concerned about the cartiledge before I started but left it that way. It is rather transparent, expecially in this pictures, a lot of lighting does that. I can't paint it because it is 100% silicone and will not take paint. I think I will be o k with it. Not sure what else I could have used. The cat I am currently cleaning is a Wisconsin raised Bengal Tiger male about 20 years old. Not sure what I will do with that, may not even articulate it. No room . Would consider selling the cleaned carcass but would have to be a resident of Wisconsin.

14. Did you recover a baculum from that tiger?? Losing it would be a pity.
    Is the tiger in the same condition as lion (skinless & clawless)? Dissected or intact?

15. No baculum. The tiger came dissected into a few pieces. no claws or skin

16. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

very nice, congratulations!!
    looks like lion articulation season on taxinet hehe.

how did you connect the acryl rods to the skeleton? interested in a shot from underneath.

17. I drilled a hole in the top of the acrylic rod. Took a finish nail and cut off the head. Drilled a hole in the bottom side of the vertebrae. Inserted the finish nail pointed end up into the acrylic rod. Slip the vertebrae onto the nail. I made this whole skeleton so I can take off each leg, the tail , the skull, and then the vertebrae and ribs as one piece. This way if I want to move or take to a show I can do it. I have a 1/4" threaded rod running through the vertebrae so I have to miss that when I drill a hole for the nail to go it.

18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Nice articulation!

Pay closer attention when dissecting the carcass... you are missing the Clavicle bones. ... also the Hyoid bones, but they are always getting tossed out when the tongue is removed.
    [​IMG]

There are paints made specifically for silicone. They are used for the special effects industry. I'll see if I can track down a supplier! ;)

There are also pigments for pre-coloring silicone ... http://www.shop.brickintheyard.com/Silicone-Pigment-4oz-SIPI-4oz.htm

Best of luck to you with your next articulation!