1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mountain Goat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BRTX, Jun 25, 2013.

1. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Had a "friend" bring me a mountain goat that has been Krowtanned and in the freezer for "10 years". The hide looks good, other than needs final fleshing, and whitening. I have been searching the archives, with no success, so here is my question. I am assuming the horns need to come off, and the cores cut down. Then the horns will be reattached to the skull plate. Am I correct? If so, how do you reattach the horns? I was thinking epoxy. The horns have been sitting in his garage for this time, and appear to be well attached to the skull plate. Do I even need to remove them after all this time?

2. kuzzinnitt

kuzzinnitt New Member

in my opinion, yes soak them in salt water ( I just do almost everything with salt) and try to pull apart, if that doesn't work simmer in hot water to loosen them up, they should be apart and treated with something like borax or evan dry preservative to debug them, then I use bondo to reattach them, that's just my opinion hope it helps

3. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

i would personally avoid simmering them, as it will make them irreversibly black. I'd soak them in water for a week or so, then bag them up and put them on the roof until they pop. Soak the skull plate in 40 volume peroxide/water overnight then let dry. reattach w/ Bondo or Epoxy depending on your personal preference...

4. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Thanks for the responses. And a big thanks to George, for the post on how to bleach the hide I found in the archives.