1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tiger Musky question.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ortegageno, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Hello all you fish guys, all the searching I have done on hear goes back quit a few years. So my question is who make a tiger musky replica? Being that I don't know crap about fish other than catching trout at a young age and not really looking at the beauty of it before throwing it on the grill. Well I finally got the chance to go try my luck at tiger musky fishing at a lake nearby. Well I was fortunate in getting a 30", 27" AND 29" . Not huge for the area as you could only keep one that is 40" plus. It may seem like I am hooked on these fish but would like to recreate my 1st catch of the 30" as this is the largest fish I have ever caught. I took quit a few pics to try and replicate the paint schedule. Thanks for all the help.
    Regards, Geno

2. den007

den007 Active Member

It is a hybrid. You can use a musky form and round off the tail area, or just use a northern and paint it like your fish. It is that easy.

3. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Thanks Den007, I jumped the gun a bit as I just opened up the Mckenzi book and found some. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give it a try.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Would love to see the pics. I don't know your level of experience when it comes to fish - tiger muskies in particular. But, a lot of locals call a pure, barred musky a tiger musky. Assuming it is indeed a true hybrid cross pike/musky, I believe a couple of the distributors offer a handful of hybrid blanks. If not, no worries. They're very simple to modify the tail basically and paint away. You might have subtle differences in fin shapes you may or may not want to mess with, but the paint job is really the big part of pulling off a true tiger. P.S., I usually just order a pike blank with the rounded tail if I have to pick one or the other...

5. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

@ Hammer.

Starfish has a decent selection also.

Btw, congrats! 8)

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Fishart, according to the NM game and fish these fish are in fact a try hybrid of a musky/norther pike. Can't upload the pics yet as I just got a new computer and this window 8 sucks bad. Like I said I don't know crap about fish but being that this NEW sport fishing has taken off here in NM it could turn into a good profit for me if I can get a good repro done as an angler is only allowed to keep a 40" plus. I have got lots of requests for repro on smaller sizes. Looking back at the McKenzie catalog it only has a 40 incher so I will look at Starfish. Thanks again and I will post some pics once I can figure out this new software.
    Regards, Geno

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Just had to ask. You wouldn't believe how many experienced musky fishermen misidentify a good ol regular (pure) barred musky as a Tiger. I don't even argue with them anymore and I personally don't care if my customer calls it a barracuda as long as they give me a photo AND their check clears! Actually, sometimes it is pretty hard to tell. Anywho, paint job is everything with these. I wouldn't worry too much about locating an actual Tiger blank. As mentioned a Pike blank works fine or a musky blank can be altered with ease. Just make sure you force your customers to either provide a photo or have some ready for them to choose from. They can vary in colors quite a bit as with most fish. Have fun!

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Lets try this pic.

Attached Files:

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Sorry about the quality of the pic it seems to loose resolution when I down size the pic to be under 128K maybe I'm doing something wrong.

10. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    lets try this pic.

Attached Files:

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Tiger, no doubt.

12. 357

357 New Member

were you fishing Blue water or Quemado? Good catch!

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    This was at Bluewater. Where are you from?

14. This is a barred musky.Might not be relevant but wanted to share a great fish
    [​IMG]