1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

alternative to safety acid.. vinegar??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by frenchydermist, Jun 25, 2013.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi!
    I plan to pickle a fox hide( salted right now ) in a white vinegar, water and salt solution that i took from this forum and neutralize with baking sode after..will it be ok? And also. how long should i keep it in ??
    I plan to tan it with lutan f after for a full body mount.
    It's my first fox and don't want to mess with it.
    Thanks

2. Citric acid, fox are never easy to tan. If you want to increase your odds, use tanning products out there for the job instead of looking for alternative ways to do things, may save you some disappointments.

3. frenchydermist

thanks for the advise..

4. frenchydermist

So citric acid?? do you have an idea of how much I would need?? Citric acid is sold only in 100g packages at the drug store

5. fullruttax

fullruttax New Member

Krowtan it

6. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Do yourself a favour and don't buy it from your local drugstore, go to Knapton supply website, they are close to you and will sell you exactly what is needed to do the job right

7. frenchydermist

OK THANKS!!

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Van Dykes sells citric acid crystal. You can buy any quantity you need. 3 ounces of citric acid and 1 lb of salt per gallon of water is a common pickle recipe. Make a 2 gallon solution for your fox.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Vinegar will pickle, but the pH may not get low/strong enough depending on your tap water. Citric acid works, but once again, the pH hardly goes below 2.5 for me. Go with what works and is designed for the job, safety acid.

10. frenchydermist

Thanks all!!
    This afternoon I`m going on a road trip, getting all the "right " stuff: transpacid, oxalic acid, ph strips, salt etc...my fox skin is salted and alfer some re-hydrating, ready for pickle !!