1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by whitetail mike, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Has anyone on here had good luck with 35% food grade peroxide? Is it really 35%. I have been using BO which is 27% peroxide and burns you if not careful. So does the food grade whiten better for the price they charge for a gallon?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Positively no better. Maybe a little faster but not by much. 3% will do the job. Just takes longer. The result would be the same in the end.

3. I have never used 35% Food grade but I do use 35% Technical Grade peroxide. Yes, it is 35% peroxide so the Volume would be 115.5. The 40 Volume product sold by the beauty supply places is approx. 12% peroxide for comparison.

For each 1% of peroxide, the Volume is 3.3

Does it whiten faster than BO that is 27% peroxide? Probably not a noticeable amount faster but it is much less expensive (if you have somewhere local where you can get in large quantity). The drawback is that most companies that sell it in quantity have minimum order quantities so you really need to use a lot to justify it. If you just need 2 or 3 gallons per year, it does not make a lot of business sense to buy 50 gallons. My supplier has a minimum order of $350.00

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Yup 34% here after a bo user. No faster just a hell of a lot cheaper. I get 55 gallon drums because I do just a few heads a year :).