1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boiling 35% Food Grade Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Skull Works, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Skull Works

Skull Works New Member

I submerged a bear skull in 35% food grade peroxide and covered the container. The next morning I go to check how the skull was coming along and found steam coming from the container. After removing the skull I found that the bone was flaking. The peroxide in the container was like boiling. Has anyone heard of this before and if so what could be the reasoning for this?

2. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Strong peroxide will react like that with metal, did you put it in a metal container or was there a bullet lodged somewhere in the skull?

3. QBD

QBD Active Member

The dangers of working with strong peroxide......

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125556.0.html

This thread has been on this very forum for a long time.

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I did the same thing a year ago with a bear that had a bullet in it. Had to paraloid the bear in a solution of almost syrup to make it ok to handle. Strong stuff, have to be careful with it, and never leave heads in overnight. I learned the hard way.

5. AH7

AH7 New Member

In my opinion you should NEVER leave anything in 35% peroxide - or 27% for that matter. Period. Honestly, though I buy 35% I always cut it in half or even less. I'd much rather take twice as long with a slightly weaker product (especially considering that 15-17% is still pretty darn fast!) than to risk the ridiculous dangers that come with the stronger stuff.

We've said it a million times (especially regarding degreasing): if you are in a hurry to clean skulls, then you are in the WRONG business! Why not add a couple more days to your process and just stick to 15-17% stuff? I would hate to hear about one of us getting hurt by these really serious chemicals.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

QBD posted the best info of all. You are lucky you have a shop or a house left. 35% is dangerous stuff and if you allow any metal to contact it you risk fire if not an explosion.

7. Skull Works

Skull Works New Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I use plastic containers and watch closely for metal. I whitened two deer in that exact same batch of peroxide three days prior with no problems. I started a new batch last night but cut it with water about 60% water (guessing) and it is still getting hot.

8. QBD

QBD Active Member

When I use water to cut the strength, I use distilled water. I am on well water and it is hard water. Not sure if it has a high enough iron content to cause a reaction but I am not taking any chances.

Did you put the same skull in the new batch? Sounds like you have some ferrous contamination somewhere.

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

QBD is correct. You have iron getting into it somewhere. It can also be a hard water issue. If you took the time to READ that article, you will see that it was a small flake of metal that caused the destruction. A FLAKE. Any small amount of iron is enough to start a reaction. The iron is a catalyst. Nothing happens to it during the reaction and you don't need much to get it going. Any form of iron or steel will do with the exception of good grade stainless. Where you run your water from, is anything even remotely rusty? Is there anything around you rusting that can drop a speck of rust into what you are doing? If you have iron in your water that will also be enough to do it if you found that the solution got hot before you added any skulls to it.

Make another batch with distilled water (water out of your dehumidifier if you have one). Hold your offending bear skull up to a bright light and you might spot a bullet fragment somewhere. Look between the teeth for a bit of wire. I would suggest not continuing to use this product until you find a solution. Not worth reading about you in the newspapers.

10. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

I use 35%. I had that once and that animal had bullet fragments in the base of the skull. Be careful, that crap is dangerous!!