1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

potters clay

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ausfish, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ausfish

ausfish Member

Hi there i would like to know if any of you use potters clay in your fish work? If so where and when do you use it on fish. thanks Des.

2. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

potters clay

I use it to fill in the cheek pockets

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

No. Use a good mâché. Potters clay is wet. The fish is wet. There is room for major shrinkage and drumming.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It would depend on the size of the fish and their cheeks. I've had 4 years of Ceramics in college and the one thing I do remember is clay isn't made to be thick. It'll most likely crack on bigger fish. Plus, as mentioned it will take longer to dry. Much longer with no air to get to it. Jim Hall makes a good mache', but you can make your own. Mache' is a better and cheaper product for this application IMO. But, others use clay too, so it must work for them. Heck, I've done restores with cotton balls stuffed into the cheeks. Clay HAS to be better than that - lol!

5. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

potters clay

I been using it for years in cheek pockets and have never had a problem with it. U have to get the cheek pockets cleaned out good but if u haven't mounted alot of fish u would probely b better off using mache. I have used apoxie sculp it works good too but it's pricey

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Re: potters clay

Honestly, the more I think about it - it probably wouldn't matter much if it did crack underneath that skin. If filled properly even if it did crack the skin would hold everything together...

7. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I have used the white fish clay for.years with no.problem. I actually like the fact that it is slower drying as it allows time to make adjustments.

8. ausfish

ausfish Member

Thanks for the replys i will giv it a go . It gets exspensive having products posted to Australia.
    cheres Des.

9. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I use it at fin roots, tail too.

10. dougp

dougp Active Member

If you are using dry potters clay and mixing yourself I would use a dextrine/water solution to mix. That will help harden and "glue" your mix and prohibit "crumbling and "softness". Actually any dry ceramic clay mixed with a paper pulp or other filler such as hi fibre and dextrine will do just fine under a fish skin. You can mix to the consitency that you favor. I use dry ceramic clays and paper pulp mixed with clay based wallpaper paste under my skins alot. It dries very hard and works well.
    Good luck....
    DougP