1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Waived competition fees ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by idbatman, Jun 27, 2013.

1. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

This question is for all of the State Associations, Directors or Officers. As an officer or director of your state does your association comp your entry fees at your show? I was made aware of a situation a while ago and I am wondering what is the normal in this situation? And if they do ……….. are your members and competitors aware of it?

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Re: Waived competition fees ?

KS does not comp any fees. Presidents room is comp'd if enough rooms are booked for the show, but he then supplies all the "drinks" for the Friday night social.

" the shnozberries taste like shnozberries "

3. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

IN show dos not give any free rooms are fees to any of the officers or presidents. We feel that if you want those things to be on the board then you are doing it for the wrong resin . Its a lot of hard work time and money , and you do it for the love of people and the Association.

4. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    In Idaho up until 3 or 4 years ago nothing was comped. The officers and board payed for everything. They were also not eligible for any cash prizes if they won best of show or best of category.

The board decided as an incentive for people to run for the offices and board of directors we would comp the competition entry fees only. Officers and board members pay for their rooms,meals, travel and any special entry fees. They are now also eligible to receive cash awards if they win.

Doug, Love of the association and people only goes so far. In most associations whether they be state or national there are a few people who do most of the work. Those people don't always get to benefit from their efforts. They don't have time to attend seminars and or compete due to the time that they invest trying to make the show a success. Ask George Roof how much time he spent in his Comped room when he was in charge of seminars for the NTA.Or the competition chairperson who is up all night with the judges. Believe me It would cost me a lot less money to show up at the show, pay the competition entry fee, dump of my entry, and then go lounge around the pool with my kids.

5. Arkansas everyone pays the reg fees and the mount entry fees.

6. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

250 hits …… 4 responses .

Since Terry chimed in and we are both from Idaho I guess you can figure it out.

I joined the ITA at Pocatello I think 07. They took my money and I’m not sure they even wrote my name down. I didn’t compete. The next time at Burley I paid dues again and I didn’t compete, I went to a seminar. 2010 took me to Lewiston, my first year to compete. 2011 to Boise and 2012 to Pocatello. You see I have been a member for a while.
    I was recruited and volunteered a director at the 2012 show. I have always helped at every show I attend in state or out . I thought I would like to be a bigger part of the Idaho association.
    Personal reasons kept me from attending the 2013 Lewiston show . I helped with setting the show up as I could . Doing some of the prep work. I called and spoke to Terry about a Combined effort piece a friend (who is now a director ) had been putting together. He spilled the beans in that phone call.
    I have a copy of the bylaws , and anything else that they ( the old board ) thought I needed . Never one time have I ever heard this mentioned before . As a member for over 4 years ( in the time that claim this was established ) and as board member for a year I have yet to see in written or recorded anywhere that this is the policy for the ITA. The ITA members have NO idea this is going on.

These are not bad guys , they are good guys , just a little misguided in judgment. I resigned from the board this week and can say I have not received a penny in compensation for anything . My decision was based on the way the association is run. The ITA is in trouble. The show that was proclaimed as so great went in the hole …. TERRIBLY. What the ITA needs is for the entire board to resign and let us start over and rebuild from the ground up.

That’s my position ….. Its now up to peer and public opinion as to what is right .

Thanks , Jay Parke

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What beans did he spill? I have read your response 3 times and it doesn't make sense. What is your gripe?

To answer the original question, in MO all officers and board members pay for their own entries, rooms, etc. Nothing is comped.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I dont know why this is in taxinet, and not being discussed with board members to be resolved ammicably and privately without embarrassment or accusations.

9. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Bill
    I have tried discussing a lot of things with the board with no responce . ITA has no communication unless its friends talking to each other. There are no elections ,open books , minutes , etc. I sent an email to Ken Edwards yesterday explaining my position. I don't have a vendeta against any one in particular . I simply want to see the ITA completely reorganized. And believe me I do not stand alone. The majority of competing taxidermists in this state go OUT of state.

Cole ... the beans he spilled was that the board has been comping the fees to them self and NO ON ELSE KNEW ABOUT IT.

I have had some issues with the board. Most of it is no communication . But enough is enough.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Jay, then I stand corrected. I feel for you guys, and I see why you posted it here. Thanks for explaning. Too often it becomes that "throw under the bus" mentality with topics, but I really do see where youre at. My apologies for my comment.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

If there are no elections, minutes, etc. then it sounds like the ITA is a private club. If that's the case, I suppose the guys running the club can do whatever they want. I can't imagine not having an election. Even the NTA pretended to hold elections.

12. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

PA is a no. We only get the registration taken care of.

13. bucksnort25

bucksnort25 New Member

MN only comps the convention fee for board members if they make all meetings during the year, and then most of us forget and pay the fee anyway:)

14. fineart

fineart New Member

Bill you have no reason to apologize for your comment, I have been on the ITA board for a few years now and to tell you the truth I don't know who the hell Jay Parke is. It has never been a secret that the ITA gives the board members a break on their competition entry fees. Jay you were on the board and you didn't know this? maybe if you would have ever showed up at a board meeting you would have known. I think myself and one other board member competed at our show this year, everyone else was busy with the things it takes to put on a show. But Jay if it makes your whiney ass feel any better, at our next meeting I'll move that we all pay for our competition fees. So Bill your original comment was right, Jay could have made a simple suggestion to the board and I'm sure we would all agree to pay our competition fees. jay is right about one thing though ,we haven't had elections for a while. But maybe that is because no one will step up and run for positions, Terry has been gracious enough to stay as president because he has been unopposed, but I'm sure he would welcome an election. Jay why don't you step up and run?

15. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

I ‘m a nobody Ron.

Just a member of an Association who has finally had and seen enough to step up and say something. The Break as you call it on fees is a secret . Shall we poll the new members from the show and ask how many were aware of this . Or competitors ? Or lets ask the members for the past 3-4 years who would have been told of this change. I didn’t know . And I asked a lot of questions and requested all and any information that a director would need . Its not in the bylaws , its not in the financial report that was prepared for the 2012 show. Just where is it public knowledge?

Board meetings .. that’s a good one. In the last year there was one. One that was called in a timely manner ( bylaws say one per quarter and 2 weeks notice). Several that were friends getting together for a BBQ . Boise is a 4 hour drive so I asked for a phone call on any vote or decision. I still have the email. To solve the distance issues I was ask to research conference calls. The Officers have had that information since that meeting . I did it the next day. A simple phone call . Saves guys on this side of the state and the northern part a over night stay and a couple of tanks of gas. And in a phone conversation with the TRES, I offered to pay for it when I sent the information .

As far as people stepping up ……… I already offered to take a position . There are many waiting on the side lines . Many who didn’t want to be a part of the boys club. In my first email to the board this last winter I ask every one of the board to step up and be a part . Not to make the decisions behind closed doors. The next part was, remember, we serve the membership . And just so everyone knows The ITA bylaws say anyone can run unopposed for an office, but there has to be an election every year at the convention. For every office and 2 years on directors . Anyone wants the bylaws I can email it to you.

If the board resigns we , the taxidermists in this state and any other who wish to participate can start over. I’m here , we’re here, because there are 5 ( a majority ) of the officers and board who don’t want to see this “club” changed. You , the ITA board have run off a lot of good people. If the board refuses ……. Well I guess you get to keep the little club. The rest of us will go out of state.