1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mounting a fawn

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fougair, Jun 27, 2013.

1. fougair

fougair New Member

I have a fawn to mount(i got the reciept from PGC and $75.00 dollars)and was just looking for any tips ,advice or any info on mounting it.What is a nice form to work with standing,laying down etc. Any help would be great. T hanks

2. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

I saw somewhere an altered small goat or lamb to mount a fawn... Why not wrap it?

3. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I could freeze dry that fawn for you . . Let me know if I could be of any help. I have 8 of them in one of my freeze dry machines right now plus other things and just took in 2 more yesterday to do for a guy.

Check out my Freeze Dried Mammals on my website if you get a chance.
    Link below..

http://edgewatertaxidermy.com/mammalsfd.html

Have a good one. ;D

--
    Galen Getting
    218-263-7177 Central Time
    www.edgewatertaxidermy.com

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

McKenzie has the best selection, but they're still limited. You're going to be stuck with the pose that fits. I make then very minimum of incisions as the skin is tender and they're hard to hide.

As for freezedrying, Galen does nice work, but I have to be honest. I've yet to see one freeze dried that didn't look shriveled or shrunken.

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

George is correct about the apparent shrinkage found in a lot of fawn mounts. But to be fair to Galen, most of the shrinkage that I've seen is because the fawn mounts are the unborn fawns taken from roadkilled does. I seriously doubt that it's possible to prevent shrinkage in them. If you find a fawn form that will fit the measurements of your fawn, you will be fortunate.

6. fougair

fougair New Member

Thanks for the responses .I want to mount this fawn i will probably have to alter one of the forms .What would be harder to do standing or laying down?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Choose your poison. None of them are "easier."

8. fougair

fougair New Member

Thanks again i guess i will have to skin and measure it then see if there is any forms that are close if not maybe i will just wrap it instead.Cannot wait to start!