1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Fawn

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by DogSoldierChick, Jun 27, 2013.

1. This fawn was a pre-mature fawn and was like mounting wet toilet paper. I know there are flaws in the skin as it was shedding alot and slipped in a couple spots. The hair felt like velvet. I used the Van Dykes Blue eyes. Looking at the I think I would use Tohickons blue brown but this fawn was TINY! My daughter wanted one mounted when I began 6 months ago. This is around my 5th mount and first fawn. Critiques are welcome. I know there is alot wrong with it but overall I am pleased with the outcome. My main goal was to keep it cute as Ive seen alot that didnt capture the dainty look of a fawn. This fawn is mounted on the smallest Mckenzie fawn form and it was cut down even more...

Attached Files:

2. Another pic.

Attached Files:

3. Nice job. Love the habitat!

4. Cute.

5. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

nice job

6. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Sweet!

7. cameron2

cameron2 Member

Chick:

Can I ask what tanning method you used, and would you use the same one again? Thanks.

8. fougair

fougair New Member

Nice job ,i am about to mount one but not sure if i want it to be standing or laying down ? What cut did you use ventral? Do you have any advice .How did you tan the hide? Any input would be great thanks.

9. country

country New Member

10. Honestly I am not sure what tan was used. I purchased it off here already tanned. It was wet tan frozen when I purchased it. The tan was a good one. Ill see if I can go back and see if the guy I bought it off of can give any input on how it was done. It was ventral cut. On a laying pose I would definitely use this cut. It's tough to mount because of the THIN hide on this one. I'm assuming a fawn that's been born and lived a few days or even weeks would slip less and have stronger hide. The drying out from being out of the womb should help. I skinned 3 fawns 2 weeks ago ranging from a week old to a month and could tell they're hide was stronger. The belly cut makes for more form alterations and cutting to get the form in place. On the front legs it was so tight I had to trim and sand the form down and cut it at the knees to get the lower part in then reattach the knees to the form and bring it around. Again a little older fawn might help on that but you couldn't pull or stretch at this hide at all. Not having anymore experience with fawns I'm not sure if the skin would taxi on better if it was older but we know all summer hide slips, hair loss etc so my biggest advice is do what you have to with the form to do the least amount of wrestling the hide as you can. Watch the heat on your hands and the less you touch it with them un gloved the better. I wish I could help more. I will say if its for you and pose is yours to choose I love the bedded fawn look but mounting one standing would be much easier to get on the form. I can only speculate as I've not done it yet but I think a case cut would be good on a standing or laying fawn also though my first choice would be ventral. Just know its short hair and repairs if at all possible should be hidden completely which mine aren't as good on the legs but I'm still and forever will be learning.

Maybe some of y'all could help me out on how to repair the couple slip spots or is it too late. One being on its side and one on its back leg. Both very small and I know I should have cut them and tried to zap a gap it hair to hair when it was still wet but I had my mind elsewhere I guess. I know they are small and also have a scar type appearance but it bugs me. I am not sure a repair on them wouldn't be too of obvious. Could I get away with gluing tiny hairs in them or would you just let it ride?

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I know that you are just starting out, but someone needs to tell you these things that are wrong. The ear butts are lumpy and out of shape, as the eares are out of shape as well, the eyelashes are curled up instead of downward,, the eye shape is not relaxed at all, the eyes blair anger and look evil-ish, and there is to much lower lip showing, and the nose is all blacked out and looks over sprayed. Overall, you tackled a hard job and finished it, sewing that thin skin will make anyone swear.

12. Thank you for the critique. I actually rarely sew and didn't at all on this fawn. I pinned it up underneath to hold it in place better. Then of course in securing it to the base they were hidden. I agree on the ears. I had to bondo them and they are thick. The eyes were hard for me as I've never done a deer so I just used alot of reference. I do think part of it is where it is looking down. The scene isn't finished. As far as the lower lip my mentor never made them even on big deer so that was a first attempt also.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You need to be aware, that your mentor, might not be the best person to learn the finer details of taxidermy from. He may be fine for getting started, but if you mentioned that he doesn't even do lips on regular work, then you will never be any better than what he teaches you. Just be open to the option that a State taxidermy Association can help you a lot.

14. I am. I actually took a couple things to the state show and learned a wealth of information. I've learned alot here also. Yes he prides himself in doing basic commercial work and says I drive him nuts with details and the time I'm putting on each mount. :(

15. Grihm

Grihm New Member

You got some great pointers on what's wrong, but I think it's pretty good for an early mount and I'm in love with the lush background. Such a cute little deer!