1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing goat skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Skeletor, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Skeletor

Skeletor New Member

I'm wondering how I should go about degreasing a domestic goat skull, and how long it should take. I've never done this before, and I have read a lot of different opinions about what to do.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

I currently have 2 goat skulls in my freezer complete with horns that I will be working on at some point...I have been reading more about how to get the horns off at this point. I would imagine degreasing would be the same as degreasing anything else? 115 degrees, dawn dish soap and water.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor New Member

How do you keep the temperature at 115? And how much dawn per gallon of water?

4. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Skeletor, do a search on degreasing tank set up, you will find several options to choose from.
    I use a thermostat and water tank heating element installed in a large rubber tub.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor New Member

Thanks for the information.
    I am 16 and since I am doing this as a hobby I would like to find the cheapest way possible.
    Where would I find a water heater that would work?
    How can you tell when the skull is done degreasing?

6. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Check this post out, you might need to find someone to help you put it together - http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,135484.0.html

When you're degreasing, the water will get cloudy from what it's pulling out of the skull. After a while, if the water stays crystal clear after a week or so of degreasing in a fresh batch of water, it may be done. You'll have to take it out, rinse it off, and let it dry for a week or two to see if any grease spots show up. If they do, back in the water. If they don't, it's most likely done.

7. Goats are greasy, expect it to take awhile.