1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Saving Caribou velvet in the field

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by R.J. Meyer II, Jul 2, 2013.

1. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I have 6 clients going caribou hunting next month and two of them have their mind set that they are going to inject them in the field and save the velvet. I tried to explain that there is a small window in which this will work and by the time they get to Michigan from Alaska on the plane they will most likely be trashed anyway from scraping and just the way airlines are. I also doubt that the airlines will transport them with Formaldehyde in and on them. Can anyone recommend an injection fluid and tell me if it will work? We do deer here with knoblocks or freeze drying but the Caribou I'm not seeing happening.

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I understand your delima , caribou velvet can be pain in the ass to save under the best circumstances , I would suggest if they are set on saving the velvet to leave the antlers in Alaska with a dependable taxidermist that has experience saving velvet and have them shipped to you after they are preserved and dried , I would have them to bring the capes back with them so they won't back out on letting you do the taxidermy work. Other option would be strip them and use artificial velvet replacement

3. buckwild

buckwild New Member

you can use coleman fuel or white gas. inject them and poke a bunch of holes in them, let them soak for a few hours till all blood is rinsed out. works great. good luck rj.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Now there's a new one. R.J.'s delima isn't what to inject them with, his method trumps white gas every day and twice on Sunday. His valid concern is shipping. LJ s advice advice is dead on.

5. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

Tell Your Client to Use Velvet Tan. After they knock there Bou down cape out and split the Skull plate.Stand racks upright and Inject and Brush on Tan so the the entire Rack is covered.Repeat process over each day for no less than 3 applications over 6 days.Wrap in Newspaper than cardboard Per shipping on Airlines.I have done this numerous times.

6. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Thanks all, I will pass the info on.