1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blackbuck ( horn membrane) removal

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by crisptaxidermy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. crisptaxidermy

crisptaxidermy New Member

Need tips on how to remove membrane from very curvy Blackbuck horns. Horns are fresh. Thanks

2. Once horns are off, cut the cores down to around 4-5 inches and I like to simmer, not boil, simmer the skull for about 20-30 min. Cleans right off and while wet I rub DP into them.

3. crisptaxidermy

Have had no problem with straight horns but, afraid that horns being so curvy the membrane might come off in horn at the base and then I might really have a problem. If this happens what method should I use. I'm sure beetles would work but have already quoted client a price and I don't like to spring hidden cost on people. Would have to send off to beetle shop also. Have horns and skullcap in freezer for shoulder mount. Any proven results welcomed.

4. If you haven't removed the horns yet, soak them for an hour in water and then bag them in a black garbage bag and place in the sun. The horns will slide off without leaving any membrane inside. Spray out the horns well and dump borax or DP inside and shake around to cover the inside. Lay it out to dry. Then you can clean up the cap and cores as I mentioned before. A little smelly until cleaned but works well.

5. dennis is right on. beetles and horns dont mix well

6. crisptaxidermy

Thanks Dennis will give this a try.

7. Can take 5-10 days for them to slide off with a twist in the direction of the curl. ;)