1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stripping Paint From Old Mounts??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Jul 4, 2013.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Need some advice on what works good to strip paint from old mounts? I have stripped an 8 lb bass with lacquer thinner by rinsing with a wash bottle but there is probably a better way. Fixing to strip a 3 lb white crappie and repaint. Old mount from back in the late 70's.
    Thanks

2. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I've fooled around with this some. I dought there's a method that's "carved in stone." Lacquer thinner or paint stripper, and a stiff brisle brush, tooth brush, even a brass brush, used with care. Mop it on, let soak, rub with brissle brush, like stripping furniture. Each situation is going to be different. You don't know what paint was used in the 70's, could be anything. If the paint gums up, scrape the goo off with the blunt side of a knife in the direction of the scales, and wet'er down again. It's going to take some time. Around the base of the fins might be a challenge. I reccomend maybe getting the sides down to the skin so you can get some scale detail but on the top, upper back, lower belly, fins, hard to get areas, just repaint over. It depends on your method of painting too. If you go with transparent look, you would need to get all or most of the paint off. Some start with a white base coat, like a replica that's been primed. Unless the paint is built up too thick, you could white out some areas and remove paint down to the skin in certain areas, as I said, each situation is going to be different. It can be time consuming, but I enjoy things like this, it's a challenge for sure. Sorry I couldn't be much help. good luck and have fun.....One time I had a set of antlers that had been painted green. !9 inches wide, someone had made an abstract painting and screwed these antlers on it, all green for abstract art. I couldn't get nothin to cut that paint. Finally it hit me, it was water base paint. Probably latex. Held under faucit, scrubbed with wire brush. But on a fish, that would be a no no. Just sand slightly and white out and overpaint.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, paint stripper works, but I always start with thinner. I will likely use neither if I feel I can prime it and repaint it like a replica and not bury all the scale detail. The biggest issue I find with stripper, is the fins often times get rehydrated and damaged, that in turn means more repair work that takes time. Charge accordingly.

4. I just do the repairs and then primer it white and paint it as if it was a Reproduction.

5. 1tigger

1tigger Active Member

Citri Strip from walmart works great ! Smells like oranges , gentle on the mount and the hands .

6. Just be careful not to get any on the form. Thinner will melt the foam instantly.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire