1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Clay?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by broken arrow, Jul 5, 2013.

1. What kind of clay do you guys prefer to use for earbutts?
    I am using clay I got from Dave Tuttle for my eyes and love it, thought about using it for earbutts because its stiffer than my potters clay. Just looking for suggestions.

2. I went to a seminar a couple years back at the state show. It was said to use soft potters clay because the ear muscle detail was easier to achieve. Shrinkage was to much for me so I went back to critter clay. No shrinkage. Matter a fact I don't use potters clay for anything come to think of it.

3. JBell

JBell New Member

Reno
  4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use "earbase" from Second2Nature. It comes in powder form and can be mixed to whatever consistency you like. It is light weight but strong and has little shrinkage. I mix up some extra with water and lysol, seal it in a container and keep it in the fridge so I don't have to make a new batch each time.

5. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

Potters clay for everything but eyes/lip get critter clay... Is what works fine for me and my wallet

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You can use critter clay all you want, but if you're using a clay based adhesive as your glue, simply roll your potters clay in that and kneed it. Leave in a bag for the evening to firm up (refrigerator 8 hours works miracles) and you have a clay that will not shrink or crack or turn to dust.

Sorry, Critter Clay is way overrated when you can make better clay yourself at $20 for 50 pounds.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Are you referring to your Dynamite 111/Dry Hidepaste glue mixed with potters clay? I've got to give this a try!!!

8. I add vermiculite to a clay based hide paste that I make and it works great.