1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DP ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bmguidry, Jul 6, 2013.

1. bmguidry

bmguidry New Member

What are some of ya'lls techniques for using dry preservative on deer capes? I have been using krotann to tan all of my hides I just want to try something different ang maybe a little less time consuming.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

People with gasoline asses tend to burn up quickly. Never step backwards. Keep using what works for you.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't use dp much, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. However, I have a lot of experience with the search feature. After doing a search on here I found that you need to thin the hide really well before applying the dp. Use a dp compatible hide paste and as far as applying the dp, it depends on if you are left or right handed. If you are right handed rub the dp in with a gloved right hand. If you are left handed the that is the hand you should use.

4. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

TN
    ok sorry dont post alot here but i am here alot but this is why alot of people dont come on here someone ask a simple question probably just getting into taxidermy doesnt know much and the first two replies are both smart a$$ comments why cant you just help out im sure someone helped you at one point. as for the poster pm me ill help you in anyway i can

5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I use stop rot/DP on all of my deer. While fleshing, I rub DP into the areas I'm working on to dry out the tissue...makes it easier to remove in my opinion. After all fleshing and feature work is done and the cape washed/towel dried, I then liberally spray the cape with stop rot, bag, freeze and order my manikin. When ready to mount, I thaw the cape, give it a light coat of DP, tumble dry, re apply DP and lightly mist with stop rot and proceed with my normal mounting procedure.

I'm not sure if this is any faster than your Krowtan as I've never used that product but as with anything, the more you do it the faster you will get.

6. I've never used DP but reading what Dave Byrd does, sure don't seem to be faster. I pressure wash,Krowtann 4 days,neutralize 15min, wash,rinse,let drip dry(1-2 hours) prep(final thinning,eyes,nose, mouth, mount.

7. George

Longwolf, go pack sand. The man is using Krotann. I used DP probably for longer than you've been breathing. Why ANYONE would stop using a better product to step back 60 years is just dumb. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a Krowtann fan, but to face a choice, a professional taxidermist knows that DP for BIG GAME is not a choice to begin with.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that thinning the hide down, rubbing dp into it,using gloves and using dp compatible hide past was not good info? In my search I got that info, so I thought I'd pass it on. If I had more info I would have shared it. As far as the left/ right hand thing, all I can say is that people who live in a humorless world are indeed a sad case of bones.

9. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

TN
    well fellas we all know of course george invented taxidermy
    so he must know all and if you dont do it like he does your a dumbass and im not gonna get in a pissin match with eather of you just sayin i have talked with to many people who dont even get on here due to things like this the poor guy had like 5 post obviosly he hasent been here long probably just learning and asked a question just be professional and help a fellow taxidermist get better informed sure dp has its place so does tanning a little common curtiousy go a long way

10. George

RIGHT! What a crock.That's akin to asking a professional artist how to sharpen his Crayola's. I get sick of hearing guys like you parrot that "nobody comes here any longer because it's too croweded". Over 38,000 members with 1.5 million posts here show just how ignorant that statement is. Using "professional" in the same sentence with DP is walking a very fine line. If you're read the post, he wasn't as concerned about it looking "professional" as he was in doing it FASTER.

11. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

TN
    i read his post and if you would have read mine you would see it has nothing to do with dp or tanning it has to do with being a professional TAXIDERMIST and PERSON

12. bmguidry

bmguidry New Member

Sorry it came down to this guys, it was just a question, i have never used DP and was wanting to see if it would save me some time and if it was a good method. I'm not a professional nor do I do this for a living I do this because I really enjoy it and I like to spend the rest of my time with my family in the Sportsman's Paradise. Thanks to everyone who helped and sorry if I offended anyone.

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I can't see how Krowtann is time consuming, unless you stand there beside the tank and watch it tan for 4 days.

14. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Sending your cape out to a tannery green is the easiest way to get a cape to the mounting stage and gives you all the time to enjoy the sportsman's paradise. Dry preserving still needs a taxidermist hand to do the prep work and at the time your ready to rub power you may as well use a tanning agent such as Liquid Tan. Besides, whats the rush, if you enjoy it, learn all the methods, take your time, tomorrow will come for us all, almost all.

15. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I really don't see how DP will save you any time. It will work no question about it, I started by tanning 18 years ago and thought I would save time a few years back and DP, did a few and went back to tanning. Could not get my skins thin enough to control shrinkage, was not happy with the end result period, hair was dry looking, mounts stunk for days until totally dry, finish work took longer. I know others do it and know that others don't do it any longer, MP has done it but I know he does not do it as a regular practice. Bottom line it saves you no time on big game.

You do not need to apologize as you offended no one. I think lonewolf 330 was offended by George's brutal honesty. Lonewolf330 I call BS on your comments grow a pair and get some thicker skin. People still come here, hell why wouldn't they, everything is free. This is the problem with this world everyone what's something, handed to them with a cute little smile and roses blown up there butt. I doubt you would get any information that will take you down the right road from someone who says PM me and I will help you anyway I can. I don't give someone who does not use their real name much credit. Okay lonewolf330, whoever you are start bashing me.

Oh and I am not a George Roof crony, George and I have never met and he put me in my place early on and I respect him for his no bull crap honesty.bmguidry, give it a shot and see if you are happy with it.

16. double barrel

double barrel New Member

I ain't afraid to squabble. I know and I've been sayin that alot of people use dp and it is faster. Not on longhaired deer or bigger animals, but a wt deer from the south, shorter hair, lots use it because it is faster and they make money. Probably don't tell their customers. Flesh all the meat off, wash, rub on powder and mt. They don't over thin the skin. I didn't like it because mine cracked around the eyes after several years. One guy told me he rubbed glycerine in the skin around the eyes, but I don't know. The one guys work looked so good, I plan on contacting him and see if he will give me a one on one , on using it. I never found the right glue is part of my problem. These guys did it before stop rot came out. I know liqua tan and mckenzie tan is way better. I never have slippage and no cracking around eyes, none whatso ever. But, I don't do the volume of work you guys do. I got a remount awhile back that had bug dammage and hairloss so bad I wouldn't bring it in my shop. But, the guy had it mounted using dp and the man took it to Florida and hung it in the pool house. Hair falling out everywhere and bugs on it.

17. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

TN
    Brad first off you totaly missed the point of my post i hope you feel like a big man typeing some bull also about 90% of peoples sceen name is not their real name but my name is Kyle Patin I live in TN and you are more than welcome to give me a call if you feel the need.

18. George

Well, Kyle, this isn't your sister's website and the only person who has yet to "get it" is you. You came on her crying about how you perceived someone having been treated unfairly, you've contributed absolutely nothing to the original question, and now you're trying to defend your immature and whiney opinion. There was absolutely nothing wrong or incorrect in the answer I gave him except that I didn't preface it with "pretty please". If you've got a gripe with me, I've posted MY REAL NAME along with having filled out a complete profile where you can contact me privately if you'd like. Now if you're here, it's either to ask for help or offer it. I've seen neither from you this far.

19. lonewolf1330

lonewolf1330 Member

TN
    george you dont know the first thing about me not whining just sayin a person cant even ask a simple question without getting some smart comments not everyone here is old and has done this forever

20. George

Not everyone here is young and dumb or whining when they don't get pampered either. But those are things that I do know about you now as they're written on this thread for all to see. No one else had anything to say about the replies EXCEPT YOU and you still have yet to offer an answer to the question posted. That says even more about you.