1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First King Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by luke19231, Jul 6, 2013.

1. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

Here's my first fish reproduction, an Alaskan king salmon spawning phase progress. Please critique! I need to set the eyes, fins, and finish the touching up around the face and gloss. The pic doesn't do it justice. There's a lot more pink in the belly.

Attached Files:

2. I'd take some better pictures of it. Looks like you just used gray primer and white.

3. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    How does it compare to the reference you have? That's what's important. As you probably know, kings like so many other fish come in a vast array of colors/patterns. Where they are in the reproductive cycle certainly has a major bearing on their appearance. Most of the kings I've done were ocean-going so I have no real expertise on the spawners but it seems rather dark and possibly too blue. But again, compare it to your reference and use that as your point of comparison, not the opinions of others. IMHO

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Luke, it seems to me that you are showing everyone your salmon, not asking how to paint it. So, with that in mind, why don't you set the eye and fins and finish it? Then come back with a picture, why show something half done?

5. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

Will do.

6. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

Here it is finished, I changed the entire fish to match the reference as closely as I could. I personally like it a lot more. Please critique.

Attached Files:

7. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

The Head

Attached Files:

8. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Second try looks much better. All the kings I've seen and caught in AK with spawning colors have a lot more red on them.

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm not going to critique color too much because color can vary SO much from fish to fish. It's not bad for your very first replica (first fish?). I think you have a good eye for blending colors and such. The things that stand out the most to me are first the black markings in the upper body. They appear too uniform in size and their locations to me. Also they tend to blend out into the upper head which your fish does not show. Plus, you usually see a random spot here and there lower in the body as well.

Secondly, I think if you look at photos closely you'll see that there's a lot more subtle colors in a King Salmon. The head needs some more color in it especially. Some metallics in general. The base of the tail usually has some bright silver between the middle rays (Shiva sticks are great for applying here). And some whites where the whites should be in the head (see reference). And distinct differentiation of darks/black in the mouth interior. At least distinct enough from the head colors. The head needs the most work IMO.

Lastly, it may not have been there, but salmon typically have a break line of color that carries across the upper body through the head and at the top of the eye. It may be VERY subtle, but I've always seen this break (I'll use torn pieces of thin cardboard to use as a block to create that "line" down the top of the whole fish.

Again, pretty good for a first, just look closer at your reference...

10. luke19231

luke19231 New Member

Slammerdude, thank you, that's what I've seen also. FishArt, thank you for your help. The glare in the picture covered it up but I also saw the line running along the head and body, it was subtle but I saw it, and used a cardboard cutout as you do to break the colors. This is evident in person, but my phone didn't seem to capture it. I also used some Aztec gold pearl-ex powder on the head and mid body to try and get some metallic, I'll use more next time ;D. The spots i tried to place as directly as in the photo so if there are any missing where there would be generally or their placement is strange, that's just what my reference was. Thank you very much for the info and advice! Hope to continue learning and getting better.