1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WHAT DO YOU PAY YOUR HELP

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Henry J., May 26, 2007.

1. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

WHAT DO YOU PAY YOUR HELP ? SAY FOR A SHOULDER MOUNT DEER AFTER THE CAPE IS TANNED ALREADY. THANKS

2. gab

gab Active Member

25%

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

gab is in the ballpark, I'd Agree with him. 20%to 25%

4. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

THANK YOU !!! GETTING VERY BUSY NEED TO GET MORE HELP . AGAIN THANKS

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

I usually pay myself as much as I can!(LOL) Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm a one man show.

6. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I pay my help in food, but they dont work full time eather just a few hours here and there. It would be cheaper to pay the one to the left of me.

7. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Lets throw in a new twist to this subject. How much would you charge if you went to another shop and put a shoulder WT together. Lets say the cape is tanned and shaved but needs to be cleaned up a little. They provide you with a form, eyes, and liners. All you have to do is scratch up the form, set the antlers and go. I would charge $100 for that. What would you guys charge?

8. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

i have had a buddy who is a taxidermist come to work in my shop on occassion, he is payed a percentage of each animal he does, and i always do the finish work, on deer he usually gets 75 dollars for every deer he puts together, its already tanned, and all materials are provided, and on a deer that is being charged at 375 i feel that is fair, in the case of fish it gets a little trickier, but we still manage to make it fair for all involved, but the more you charge for your work, the higher that 25 percent can be, on a 500 dollar deer, its 125 bucks, so it depends on what your overall price is when your talking 25 percent , Russ

9. Depends on how much you have to go back and fix stuff for them. Basically, how much quality experience do they really have!

10. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I forgot to mention that I would do all finish and airbrush work also for that $100 price.

11. gab

gab Active Member

when I pay 25% its for a completely finished head.The taxidermist measures the form and orders forms that work for him.He gets commercially tanned cape ,form eyes,glue tools etc.In my shop 25% is $125.BUT all of my contract guys get $135 a head,using their own clay tools paints,etc.they are also responsible for their own taxes.They mount off premise,also.

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I had two young men that worked for me & I paid them $10.00 per hor. One joined the Navy & one went to work as a welder, both payed a hell of alot better than I did!! LOL Now my dad who is retired comes in around 20 hours per week & I pay him per head he fleshes.

13. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

I'M OFFERED MY NEW GUY 25% RIGHT OFF THE TOP OF WHAT I CHARGE !That's before any over head is taken off . I think that's dam good . I don't think he does . but after uncle sam,shop overhead, materials, that takes up about 50% .That leaves me 25%. Am i right or wrong ? most other biz. run on 1/3 - 2/3 . i looked into this very hard before talking to him . called over 9 other bussiness's owners & they all said ,for every $100 you pay ,your employee should earn $300 for you. also i'm paying 100% cash, so i'm paying income tax on what i pay him !!!

14. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

well in my case the guy who works here has had 2 very slow seasons at his place and is very happy to get what i pay just to be able to practice his trade and he does quality work, hell his lifesize cats are phenomonal, better than mine, when he is working on one of them, i take notice and try to learn at the same time, its a win win for both of us, i have been trying to get him to come more often, i could take in more work than i do, but dont want a backlog of more than that of 6 to 9 months, its not fair to my customers, Russ

15. *

Some people don't want all the B*llsh*t that comes with the client 4000fps
    I do wholesale African for many shops. I make good money they do also.
    One client lots of work, one check a lot less hassle.
    I like wholesale as much as retail.
    Heck I'll make money anyway I can......

Except The contract work I do comes in $10,000 at a time. And it's only African cha-ching.

16. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

4000FPS, Because the taxidermy work is only 1/2 the work running a good biz. is ! If he can work here make $500 a week cash plus lunch & dinner every day and not have to deal with anything but taxidermy . You have to be much more than a taxidermist to run a taxidermy biz. ! shit he could just pay me 1/2 of the $128,000 i have into the shop & 1/2 of the $92 per. day overhead them make what I'm making! then go from working 6 to 8 hr. a day 5 days a week to 12 to 14 hr. per. day 7 days a week !lol hey, it's just that easy go for it !!!!!!!!!! hey I'll take a week off and go to Texas & hang with Michale p. how does he get any work done with pretty girls always around ! mike that $10 an hr. is looking better and better to me !! lucky man !!!

17. gab

gab Active Member

henry,
    I was going to reply to 4000,but you said it.My contract guy makes $540 a week from me for 20 hours of work,plus gets to write off his home as an office.He also contracts for 3 other shops.He makes more than me and has weekends off.If I were you I would cut loose the unhappy guy .If you give him what he wants,you'll resent him,and if you don't he'll resent you .Yuo don't want a disgruntled person working on your customer's head's.

18. Good answer Gab and Henry that goes with any business.

19. good answer dennis *, make your money any way you can, you all in the lower 48 are to cheap to begin with. lol....

20. *

Running a business is a h*ll of a lot more than mathematics 4000. Sure it helps to know your numbers but It's a people thing also in taxidermy, no people skills, no advertising background, no marketing skills, yields no MONEY to make than bottom line with.

Rich, I'm trying to get up to those Alaska prices trust me....