1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HOW MANY MOUNTS A YEAR DO YOU DO ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Henry J., May 26, 2007.

1. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

HOW MANY MOUNTS A YEAR DO YOU DO ? ( FULL TIME TAXIDERMIST ) WHAT IS YOUR AVERAGE NET. PAY FOR THE YEAR ?

2. weekley2006

weekley2006 New Member

400 net 250,000.00 ;)

3. mcole

mcole New Member

875 mounts net...950,000 ;) ;)

Henry J. thats a loaded question............

4. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Henry, I believe weekley2006 and mcole don't quite understand net vs. gross, or they are very highly priced taxidermists. Gross is the total money taken in from customers, at 400 mounts, if the average price is $625, then the gross would be $250,000. However, NET is what the taxidermist actually has at the end of the year on line 37 on your 1040 Tax form, which the Government considers the gross income. If the average deer head was $625.00, just the cost of supplies (ears eyes, form, paste, tanning, etc., plus shipping items cost (not trivial today), the net per dear Head COULD be $400.00 or even more. The you must write off the cost of operation of the shop - electricity, water, property taxes, mortgage, heat, sewage, etc. Then you deduct your cost of health care, the Social Security costs (also not trivial), sales tax etc. The next miscellaneous costs would be advertising, internet web pages, accountants, possible extra costs for part time work. The next part is quite important - the deduction for retirement costs line 32 on 1040, which should be at least $10,000 per family operating a Taxidermy Business.

What I consider "net" income is that paid figure on line 37 of the IRS 1040. I would love to have the previous two people who answered this question post THIS number vs. the numbers posted.

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

PA , they understood it, they made a joke of it.
    People have no business asking others what they make, it's just plain RUDE.
    What anyone makes has no bearing on how little or how much someone else can make in this business.

6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Perhaps you are correct, but there are many people visiting this site that "THINK" they can make a decent living at doing taxidermy, and may be considering a occupation change. From my view, which granted is not from someone solely relying on taxidermy to make a living, it is extremely difficult. If you did a survey of all taxidermists in the country, it should be extremely easy to chose a different career and supplement that income with Taxidermy. If you did a survey on this forum with ranges of "net" i.e. 10,000-25,000, 25,000-40,000, 40,000-70,000, and 70,000 on up the results would be skewed, because very few taxidermists have
    1) the income to afford a computer with a DSL or cable hookup
    2) have enough time to learn how to use a computer and
    3) aren't working 6 days a week, 16 hours a day, struggling to make a go of it.
    The people on this site, or visit the site, are successful in this field, and would give a different view of possible income than a thorough survey of the field.

As far as rudeness, it is all on perspective. The Government or private enterprize routinely surveys various jobs and what they pay, and publish the results - especially for new college graduates. I know a few taxidermists that are quite good, and for years ran successful businesses, but are being squeezed out by economic times, lack of disposable income, and increasing competition.

7. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

HEY I DID NOT ASK FOR NAMES JUST A ROUGH EST. TO SEE WHAT MOST GUYS MADE ! NOT TRYING TO BE RUDE ! EVERYTHING YOU POST ON HERE ENDS UP IN A FIGHT ! NO BIG DEAL . JUST ONE TAXIDERMIST TALKING TO ANOTHER SEEING WERE WE ARE AT .

8. cht

cht New Member

Henry J. , can you turn off your cap locks. It's very hard to read! Maybe I'm just to old!

9. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

Sorry

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

since february 7 of this year i have done 41 shoulder mounts (deer, wolf, yote, foxes) - a bunch of full bodies too but for some reason i just started putting a mark on the wall for every shoulder mount

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well then how the hell are we supposed to respond?? ? Sign in as one of bygolly' aliases???

12. mcole

mcole New Member

PA....could you explain net vs. gross one more time.....as I didn't pass history class... ;)

Henry J.........As your subject states "HOW MANY MOUNTS A YEAR DO YOU DO" I asked a similar question several months ago..do a search back for "Whitetail mounts per year". You will find some good info in that thread....Theres nothing wrong with asking how many mounts per year a taxidermist is averaging. You will have problems in <b>ANY</b> business asking someone about their yearly wages....

13. Mike A

Mike A New Member

We do around 300 pieces a year.

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Of course, LMAO. I was wondering the same.
    I'm not full time, but I do around a 100.

15. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    I only do 12-18 deer and i turn down way more than that just because of space and time and its kinda a hobby that someday i will get more time, i get aleast 2 -5 redos of worse mounts then mine to do also ,lol

16. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

Yes, your right asking how much was the wrong way to put it .

17. Matt

Matt Active Member

In a one man show, 250-280 pieces a year.

18. gab

gab Active Member

the figures can be misleading.My shop does alot of pieces,but I have 3 taxidermist working.It might be more educational to know how many pieces per taxidermist are being produced.This would tell someone if it's cost effective to grow,or if it would be better to remain a one man show,set prices a little higher and turn down work.There are alot of expenses associated with employees that eat into profits .Another option for a growing shop is contract work.It gives you flexibility.

19. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I am still part-time and do about 65-75 pieces a year. Mostly deer heads.

20. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

GAB, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DECIDE !!! NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD !!!!!!!!!!