1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Cougar

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by rarestjewels, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

You gave that cat Character. It is not only awesome technically, it also induces an emotional reaction within the viewer. That is the purpose of art.

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Very nice work, tells a story. I would really like to see it in person. It's also one of those pieces that is difficult to photograph, seems like every angle you look at makes you want to see it from the other side.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

smokin'

4. Naturesway07

Naturesway07 New Member

Nice looking cat.nice too see something different.nicely done congrats!

5. Thanks everyone, it sure means a lot coming from others artists. Yes, Dennis he was an older Tom that was caught less than a 1/2 mile behind our shop. Rick Carter judged the very first show I entered 3 years ago. Rick, I wanted to let you know how much your words of wisdom and encouragement boosted my confidence and artistic level, thank you ! My wife suggested that I do this cat in a rubbing/scent marking pose, and I immediately liked the idea. I was actually amazed at how many people, taxidermists included, that this pose was lost on !! They just didn't get it, but the ones that understand cats love it. Thanks also to John B. for technical, behavioral and photo info during this project, your a wealth of information. Jerry, you're welcome to stop by anytime, we're only 2 states away.... LOL Thanks again everyone, so glad you like it.... Dale

P.S. here are a few work in progress photos.......

Here's the form I started with....

and finished sculpture.....

Attached Files:

6. .............................

Attached Files:

7. I only had the hide for this lion....no carcass. I lucked out by having a client harvest a beautiful tom almost the same size as my skin. I was able to take measurements/proportions from that carcass and also use the head for reference.

Attached Files:

8. and a timely reminder about the size difference in the front and hind feet.

Attached Files:

9. part of the process of deciding the head angle.....started with the head turned this way but later changed the angle, also you can see more of the body, leg, neck ect....alterations here

Attached Files:

10. Putting the skin on...

Attached Files:

11. fabulous mount and thanks for sharing the pics! I saw this mount in person and thought it was so unique, outstanding!!!!!

12. dakotabill

dakotabill Member

Is that Nascar driver Clint Boyer in the pic? Very nice presentation I liked walking around it and viewing it from all angles at the World Show. Great Job

13. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

What an amazing piece of art.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

If not it's his twin.

15. Ummm....... might be...... ;)

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Beautiful!

17. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Very nice! Thanks for the progress pics as well, always like seeing those.

18. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

WOW great original piece. Thanks for sharing.

19. Dale this piece is amazing, thanks for sharing!

20. verne

verne Well-Known Member

WOW ;) :D