1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whats too small?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by camoman01, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Whats the smallest skull you have macerated?

Sent from my Prism using Ohub Campfire mobile app

2. My smallest so far has been a skunk. I'm sure others on here have gone much smaller.

3. Not maceration,but slowly simmered a Zebra Finch skull.Turned out good.

4. Smallest skull I've done is a Mouse.

5. Short tailed weasel.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Little brown bat. Very tiny teeth.

7. Im about to try a.field rat my son shot with his pellet gun

8. They are small.I have one but i had a friend beetle clean it for me.Very cool looking.

9. Muncher

Muncher Member

I did a mouse skull last year, but I've just finished a complete blue tit skeleton, which hopefully I'll post a picture of over the weekend.

10. I cold-water-macerated a tiny pigeon skull. It came out nice and did not need degreasing. I had it right in a soda bottle (top cut off of bottle) on a windowsill and there was not even much of a smell.

11. How long did it take to macerate without heated water?

12. It admittedly took a long time. I had used the skin for crafts and just sort of put the skull in the bottle as an afterthought. Months later I inspected it and it just needed a good rinse (to remove the smell; I am not going to lie and say there was no nasty odor.) I dried it in the sun. The beak sheaths were not important on this one though; there are better methods (heated maceration) out there.

13. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

39,37 inches long snakes skull. Very funny to articulate.