1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For those who mount a lot of mule deer.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DeerMan43, Jul 10, 2013.

1. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    So I need a bit of help and figured I would see what others thought. I recently took in a nice mule deer from Alberta and wanted to see what my fellow Taxidermists use. I am looking for types of forms, ear liners and specific eye size and manufacturer. I do tend to use McKenzie for a lot of supplies and was leaning toward Aaron Conelly or Coombs forms. The liners also from Mckenzee and eyes. I am not sure on size for I didn't have the actual carcass to measure from. I would like some suggestions guys and gals. I haven't got one in until now. This is for a special customer of mine that has brought me a lot of work over the years as well as word of mouth work. I want to do a good job on this mount and not sure what route to go. All help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

I only use Research or TruFitt on mule deer. Too many complaints of "skinny necks" in the past with other companies forms.

3. Buckeye Muledeer are awesome. Connelly is kick ass.............Trufitt Muledeer...........I like those too. Depends on what you are going for. Give the Connelly a try. they look AWESOME

4. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Jet Smith mule deer forms are the best I have used so far

5. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks everyone. How about eye sizes. I have all the mentioned forms so far in catalogs in shop. Thanks again.

6. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Well now I have another problem. Measured up last pm and atlas is 26 tight. Having a hard time finding a form to fit it. I will keep checking. And Connely is in Ohio taxidermy right?

7. Gurneyjockey

Gurneyjockey Member

Head quarters

8. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks, I will check them out.

9. Whitetail form with a change out head.. way more options

10. dshaw1414

dshaw1414 Member

I mount quite a few mulies here in alberta and I find Mckenzie forms look the best. For me I think they have the best looking face that match alberta deer in my area and there neck sizes match most every deer I do. I do alter the face and neck to get the look I want but not a whole lot. Aaron connelly's forms are also what I will use on alberta deer as well. eyes are usually a 32mm or 34 mm eye depending on the size of the buck. Ear liners I like research plastic liners.

11. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    X's 2

12. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks. I wish Aaron had a few more choices to pick from, maybe in the future. I will check out the others as well. Thanks for your input.

13. blueridge

blueridge New Member

Mckenzie. 32mm eye.

14. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks, will check it out.

15. Jacob N.

Jacob N. Member

Idaho
    McKenzie forms are bigger in the shoulders than trufitt forms. The mckenzie looks a little bigger bodied thn the trufitt Having said that the trufitt head is bigger and looks better I think. With trufitt I sometimes have problems getting the neck to fit until I get to the shoulders and have extra skin. The thing I don't like about Mackenzie is the narrow ridge of the nose. I usually add clay along it to make it look more full. Although some deer do have narrow noses like that. If your deer has a 26" neck I would use mckenzie and just add to the nose. 32 mm eyes fit good.

16. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be ordering this soon so need to do some final thinking to make sure I make the right decision. You are building up the diameter a bit then. Maybe the length also I presume. Just a more stout nose. Thanks again.

17. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just mounted one up on McKenzie SS 7/78 x 24-26, fit like a glove and the nose is plenty wide. With the thick hair on Mule deer, the head will look full, more so then a whitetail.

18. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks, I just thinned it up tonight and its neck is definitely big. At least to me. Remeasured the cape to make sure I can make a good decision on the form. Looking like a stubby nose so probably going to be a wide one and neck is at least 26 at atlas so I can't wait to get it done sure will be a nice one. Ill check that form out sounds like it will be close to that or maybe the same. Thanks for your input.

19. Used to use Lancaster forms on all my mule deer... Like the body but don't like the head at all.. Bridge of nose is too full and the eyes seem to be to wide, sometimes 3/8- 1/2 wider from front corner to front corner than the mckenzie forms. I've been using Lancaster forms with mckenzie change out heads. And lately have found myself ordering the mckenzie SS series and really like the forms. Alot of mule deer do have a narrow bridge of the nose until you get into the real big boys like your dealing with. Use the 32 meder dark eyes. Best eyes I've used.

20. J Kelly

J Kelly Member

STOP!! Don't consider the mckenzie form!! Myself and my friends have bow-killed many Alberta mules and mckenzie mannikins just don't fit right. I would strongly recommend that you go with an Aaron Connely form from headquarters the frame size of the mannikin is much more correct for an Alberta mulie. One measurement that many taxidermists forget about is the nose-back of head and the mckenzie forms are usually way too short for a big Alberta buck. If not altered you will really gather skin under the throat. The big mannikin that Aaron sculpted will work for your buck and look like a mature Canadian deer.