1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hair slippage

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by quazarman2001, Jul 11, 2013.

1. quazarman2001

quazarman2001 New Member

I am new to the taxidermy world and have been practicing on different things. I have been enjoying the learning process but I keep having a problem with hair slippage. All that I have read says that the main cause is bacteria. I have tried different ways and still have the problem. I have been using squirrels for practice and have gotten pretty good at skinning and fleshing these but when I go to put them on the form I start loosing hair. My question is what may I be doing wrong or is it possible that I a actually pulling the hair out? The hair comes out pretty easily so I cant see it being the latter. My process is take out of the freezer until thawed, skin, wash in dish detergent and Lysol, finish fleshing, do the Lysol and detergent again, wash with pert shampoo, blow dry with shop vac, put skin preservative on and mount. This takes me about 3 to 4 hours. Any help would be appreciated

2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Try tanning them in a simple but effective solution. 1# salt 1# aluminum sulphate 2 gallons water. Mix solution, flesh squirrel put in solution over night. next morning take out and thin hide where needed. add 4 oz baking soda to solution mix well, add squirrel agitate let set for an hour. towel dry squirrel and mount. See if that helps

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Looks like to me you are washing too many times. I would thaw, skin, flesh, wash, towel dry, preserve and mount. No need to shampoo...just add a little liquid fabric softener to your rinse water. The hair is delicate so be gentle.

4. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Throughout the fleshing process I use a lot of borax. Never had a problem.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Soaps cause slip.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Get rid of the lysol...
    Soaps and detergents can cause slip if overdone.

High pH is your enemy. Both lysol and DP are high pH compounds..

7. quazarman2001

quazarman2001 New Member

Thanks for the info. I was using the Lysol because of a video I had seen. I think that I might be washing to much as some of you had mentioned so I will adjust my process on this and see what happens

8. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Manipulation also does not help on slippage..If it started slipping, the more you manipulate the skin with your hot hands the worst it will get.Using gloves and spraying the skin with denatured alcool as you skin it could help a lot.
    x2,,that's what I do too..nerver had any slippage problem on squirrels and other small game.