1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skunk Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by neecf02, Jul 13, 2013.

1. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

Hi there. This is my second mammal mount that I've done and my very first skunk (first one was a opossum). I haven't painted his eyes, nose, and mouth yet so they look a bit not right. His white stripe on his nose is naturally not center with his nose. I was worried that there was too much in the habitat, but I named him flower so there's supposed to be a lot of fufu stuff. Please be honest with your thoughts, I need to learn to see mistakes. Thanks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fougair

fougair New Member

Well i am no pro but... it looks kinda rough, use good reference the coat look nice, eyes look too wide open try to close them if possible.Looks like the lips were not thin enough they look jagged( for lack of a better description) It looks like the end of the tail was blown out (white tuft of fur) I like the wall mount idea with the butterflys.This is just my opinion maybe others could give a better critique.

3. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

Thanks for your input. These were the reference photos that I used for the face. It appears to me that the eyes are supposed to be pretty wide open and very round, so that's how I tried to do it. The mouth does look a bit rough, partially because its not painted yet and also I cut too much foam out of the mouth for tucking in the skin, so its kind more open than I like. I have seen some skunks with a tuft of white hair at the very tip of the tail. He isn't missing any hair or tail skin at all. I fleshed and tanned this skunk myself, so I know its not missing anything...its all there. Again thanks for your input.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/u554/neecf02/mammals_spotted_skunk_zpsbffef5e3.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]

4. Well,what is that white stuff in the nose?Eyes need work.Maybe more clay and shape the eye better.And it appears you either didn't turn the lips or maybe didn't pin the lips in place.The one back foot is too thick.And to give you a better picture image your self naturally with your hands on the keyboard and on your mouse the nails and fingers form an arch with the middle knuckle or the metacarporal phalangeal joints pointed up.That is how the toes should be placed on a habitat or display like that.Also spread them out a bit.I recommend taking your time and slowly turn the lips and turn the ears with a scalpel.There might be a tutorial on here and I know John Bellucci just posted one on his facebook page but it is with deer,same principle.If you have problems with that take lots of breaks walk outside,also when you turn the ears put in some clay when you mount it and of course look at reference.You will only be able to get better by mounting animals and learning.Looks fine from a distance.

5. Secondhanddog

Secondhanddog Member

Ohio
    From a purely consumer stand point, I like it. Face is expressive which I like. Too much on the habitat for my liking but like that it hangs on the wall. Pretty awesome for your second mount!

6. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

buckmasters: that's what I mean when I said that I haven't had a chance to paint the nose, eyes and lips is that there's still "white stuff" (clay) still visible from inside the nostril, around the eyes and along the lips. I did split the eyes, nose and lips, turned the ears, and shaved them paper thin. I think what you're seeing is the coloration of the skin when the hide dried and some clay as well. Perhaps I should have posted after I painted him :) I do agree with you on the back foot. Also, I did put clay in the ears.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

About 15 years ago, I mounted one with that exact theme. Mine had chrysanthemums and a monarch. OK. Down to business.

The ears are set too low on the head. I think the rest looks just fine and you have a good expression on its face. You did a nice job on the feet and toes.

Suggestions: invest in better silk flowers. The gardenia is looks OK but the stem looks like cheap plastic. Next time, alter your form. The anatomy is wrong for a skunk stepping down. You have a skunk walking on a flat and level surface tipped down to your diorama bases.

8. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Yes I think you should allways post for critique after finish work unless its still wet and can move after critique. I would love for you to post after finish work. Looks pretty good to me but I have never done a skunk :) for what it's worth I like your habitat idea but agree with George on the stem

9. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

Thanks, George and Dan, for your input. I was figuring that the ears were set too low but of course that was after the fact that it dried. And yes, George, that's exactly what I did was take a level standing form and tilted it...after spending a whole day shaving the form down to fit the hide, I was pretty much done with it at that point...I guess that's what I get for being lazy and anxious. I wasn't too picky about habitat as much, so I didn't pay too much attention to stems when I got them, I was more concerned about the petals and leaves.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Here's a picture of "Rosebud". The mount was given a "fatal flaw" in my state competition because it didn't have a penis or testicles. Since it was a female skunk, the judge was the one without balls when it was all over.

[​IMG]

11. neecf02

neecf02 New Member

I remember reading about your skunk on a different post. Thanks for sharing pic...that looks nice. According to the sitting pose, it looks like the judge had to have been looking pretty hard for a penis and balls and that's pretty arrogant of him to assume it was a male. Did you take the judge's balls and mount on your skunk and say, "There's her balls!"