1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Receipt app or software

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by DeerMan43, Jul 13, 2013.

1. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Just looking for suggestions on what you guys and gals use for receipts in your shops. I currently do it the old standard way with a receipt book and carbon backing. I want to get a bit more techy. I recently put Internet service in the shop and have an iPhone and iPad and was thinking of setting up a printer in the shop so I can print out a receipt when the customer comes to pick up the mount. Figured I could make it easier on myself and not do as much writing. So asking for those techy people out there that do something similar to this. Any suggestions? Just thinking it may be better to have it stored in a file rather than paper. Thanks!

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I guess I'm a little old school on this. I prefer a paper hard copy. I used MS Word to create a nice Work Order/Invoice that I sent to the print shop to be printed on NCR (no carbon required) paper. I had mine made as a two-part, one white and the other yellow. When the customer comes in, he fills in all his info on the work order (name, address, phone, etc). I also record the mount details and the other required info (date killed, location, species, sex, etc.). The bottom left side of the form has my terms of service stating that the specimen was legally acquired and that the customer agrees to pick up within 30 days, etc. The customer signs below acknowledging agreement with these terms. On the lower right, I record the price, deposit paid, and remaining balance. The customer takes the yellow copy and I tell them that will be their receipt. I keep the white copy for my records. If the customer requests a receipt at pick up, I write paid on the white sheet and make a photocopy for the customer. Works great for me. If you are set on keeping things computerized, you should check out taxi-shop software or intuit quickbooks. If you go that route, make sure to back up your files daily with one of the online backup services (carbonite, mozy, etc.).

3. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thank you for your input. I also do it similar to you and your way. I have them sign when they come in on a work form I have made up. When they come in to pick the mount up I have a receipt made up waiting for them on the mount. They pay and I have them sign off that they received it. I think this is a good way but a lot of work to fill things out and paper to the ceiling of the shop. Thinking of a more streamlined approach. Idk maybe over thinking it a bit but the computer thing could save some time and it would already be in the computer waiting on them when the mount is done. I will check out the software you talked about. May be an option. Although paper hasn't failed me yet. Knock on wood. Thanks again.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm old school as well. But, I have two sets of carbon paper on my forms so I have three copies. At drop off after write-up the customer signs off and gets the third copy. At pick-up time I write "paid in full" and initial it on both my original and the second copy and the customer takes the second copy with him at pick-up time. Super simple and if I can do something as easy as this to keep my overhead down, I'll do it. Still looks professional and ultimately the customer REALLY cares about the quality of his trophy and not some super fancy receipt. Triplicate offers a copy for the customer both at drop-off and pick-up time...

5. ditto what Fishfart says

6. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Do u use a local print shop then? What does, say 100 receipts cost? I may check into that. I could just scan a copy of the reciept into my computer then and throw the rest out. I tend to save a copy of everything on a particular customer so I have reference if I need to go back and ever see what type of form, eyes etc. I used. I just hate paperwork and filing cabinets are filled up. Lol, thank for the input.

7. FishArt

Nope, I made up the form myself on CAD and copied it right next to the first form so I have two forms per 8.5x11 sheet. I used AutoCad, but any software program would work nowadays. I have one of those aluminum forms cases you see auto shops, etc. using. And, I simply buy carbon paper 8.5 x 11 and cut them in half to match the size of the forms. I print the two forms to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and have my wife make a bunch of copies at her work. She tosses a couple of bucks in their petty cash to reimburse, but anyplace that burns copies cheap is better than printing each individually. Having non-carbon copy based triplicate forms made up can be a bit more expensive whereas mine look good, functional and dirt cheap. I probably only have $20 bucks in the carbon paper and paper for 500 copies. And the wife's workplace has a plot cutter, so she can chop the two forms in half quite quickly doing 10 or so sheets at once. But, one of those old fashioned grammar school paper cutters would also work and those can probably be found on Craigslist for under $20 bucks.

8. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks again. Going to try to figure out something maybe on excel. May just give that way a try. Would be a bit more formal. Rather than my receipt book.

9. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I got 500 2-part forms printed for like $60. I thought about doing 3-part, but just couldn't justify the extra cost.

10. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks for the info. That's not too bad of a price may check my local print shop to see what it would run.

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

We use quicken

12. FishArt

http://mercuriobrothers.com/product_info?c_product_id=376

$100 bucks for 500, 3-part forms. And that was the first place I looked. In the whole realm of things we're talking pocket change per customer and not that much more than a two part. And, your customers will appreciate receiving a copy both times they come. In fact, makes me think twice about wasting the time doing my own for the $80 bucks I'd save over the course of 5+ years to use that many up. And If I buy a 1000, it's only $144 bucks (plus tax and shipping)... Less than a quarter per customer...

13. kurt

kurt Member

Take a look at taxi shop under the suppliers section. Then click on taxidermy biz products. You will never hand write an order again. Plus it's great at tax time.

14. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Will do. I checked out their software last pm. Looks good. May have a bit more info than needed though. Looks like it will do everything that you could possibly need to do in the business. Not sure if it would save time or more in front of the computer time. It would be nice to have everything in one place though. Thanks for the thought. I will look into it more.

15. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    That is cheep. 500 should last a long time. That's a lot of work for one guy. I'm going to check the print shop in town. Would be nice to have a standard professional looking receipt for people. And a means for customers to keep a larger paper for them to be reminded to come back. Thanks again!

16. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

I use the three part firms too. I ordered from Greg, cheap, fast, and painless.

17. FishArt

Yeah, the more I think about it - that's what I think I'm going to do. My entry level system works fine, but at this point in my "career, it's simply not worth the labor to "save" $80 bucks over the course of X amount of years. Especially since it's a lot cheaper than it use to be now...

18. FishArt

MFB, almost all paper's cheap. In fact, I got a case of paper for free about 10 years ago through Staples with a coupon! But ink-jet cartridges are not cheap. In fact, I don't even have a color inkjet photo printer anymore because it's much cheaper to have photos done at Walgreens or another outside source. (I use a cheap, digital photo frame for reference pics when painting fish). I have a black and white Canon Laser printer which is dirt cheap to run. A generic toner cartridge lasts me two+ years! And it ran me less than $50 bucks shipped. Whereas I went through over $200 in color inkjet cartridges in ONE YEAR printing the same amount as I do now. But, even at the low cost of my Canon laser printer, it's still cheaper to pay an outside source to make my black and white copies for me. Even if I hadn't had the "inside source" I have now - lol!

I'm glad I read this thread because it made me realize that the price has come down considerably on triplicate forms. I won't be bothering doing it myself anymore. I can make DOUBLE the money in the same time spent working on fish vs. playing with copiers and cutting. And as George says, you just pass that cost (less than a quarter!) onto the customer...

19. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Thanks for the input.

20. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Ya the price of ink is expensive, I think I need to invest in a better printer than I have it has got to the point I just throw out the hp printer and buy a new one. The price of new ink is more than buying a new printer. I have just waited till the local Wally World has a sale on hp printers and buy a new one. It's crazy to think a new printer is cheaper than the ink to run it but that's what it has come down to. I know the cheaper printer is just a cheep printer but for your buck its a cheaper route to go. I still want to get a black ink printer with toner cartridges think they would be ok for everyday printing at a better ink price and they will last a lot longer.