1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

No need to salt! (Let's talk trapping)

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by justin_b, Jul 14, 2013.

1. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    I've been getting into trapping over the last year or so. I'm from Wisconsin, and this weekend I attended the Trapper Education Class which was put on by the WI Trappers Assoc in conjunction with the DNR. I learned a LOAD of valuable info - everything from basics on certain sets, trapping regs, and the last 4 hours of the class today was spent skinning and stretching (along with tons of other great info mixed in over the two day class).

The class provided 2 raccoons, a muskrat, an otter, and a beaver for the students to practice on. Seeing as how I've been in or around the taxidermy industry for the last 7 or 8 years, I've always salted everything I've ever worked on. I just learned today that salting a hide that will be for sale at a fur auction is not to be salted. They want certain animals stretched (either on boards or wire frames) with either fur in or fur out depending on the species, but again, they are to be air dried only with absolutely no salt.

Why is this? I could see someone saying..well, you could salt but it's a waste of money, etc, but to say do not salt at all, has me wondering why? I'm not saying I know better either way, I'm just asking out of curiosities sake. Do any of you know why this is?

2. You don't want to salt a hide that is to be sold as fur because the salt dehydrates the skin and shrinks it

3. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Thanks...makes sense. I was wondering about that..

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I think it has more to do with the fragileness once dryed. Salt dryed skins become fragile when totally dry, try bending one, where as air dryed skins are more flexible. I believe tanning for the fur market is more automated than taxidermy tanning.

5. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Yeah I really wasn't required to take the course, since I was grandfathered in to the old non-electronic license system. I took it with a buddy and the only reason was because of the instructor. They are for the most part all seasoned trappers with years and years of trapping under their belt. It sucks having to give up a weekend for this class, but what I learned from these ol trappers will save me a lot more than two days of trial and error in the field.

6. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    Fall Creek