1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear eye's

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by RICKP, Jul 15, 2013.

1. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

What eye's do you like to use on your bears?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

IQ from Tohickon

3. DeerMan43

DeerMan43 Member

PA.
    Same, they are very nice IMO. Make the eyes look alive.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Van Dykes competition eyes and Tohickon 125's are both good choices, I believe. George is that the ones you meant or what? I can't find IQ bear eyes listed in Tohickon's catalog.

5. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I use the 170's I believe out of McKenzie or Reasurch.

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

14-16MM for black bear, 16-18mm for brown

Attached Files:

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Lately I been using * reflective eyes.. 16mm, they look real nice.

Attached Files:

• BB.jpg
      BB.jpg
      File size:
      113.3 KB
      Views:
  8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

here is one facing the other way.. 16MM reflective eyes from Dennis * Now if I could just figure out how to photograph things.. ;)

Attached Files:

9. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Thanks everyone

10. Tohickon

Tohickon New Member

The competition Tohickon bear eye is the 125 series. It isn't actually called an IQ, though some people refer to it that way.

11. George

Tony, some of us are just slow learners. IQ is as good as it gets and asking for them by name let's the suppliers sort it out.

12. Tohickon

Tohickon New Member

Yes George, whenever someone asks me for an IQ bear I know exactly what they mean and usually don't mention anything because it really doesn't matter. I just took time to point this out since someone had trouble locating what they were looking for in the catalog.

13. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Yes, I like the look of the IQ (125) George, thanks.
    And thanks for clearing up the IQ/125 question also because, I was looking for the IQ in the catalog and couldn't find it.
    SO,, WIN, WIN
    Thanks guys

14. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Any of the Tohickon IQ series of eyes will be the best investment for the job at hand! For what it's worth ... I love them! ;)

15. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

Thought I'd post this just to help others avoid going through what I did. Always check your eyes out before you insert them. I'm sure most of you already do but I never did. I sure do now. I had a pair of Tohickons that had different sized pupils. I didn't notice until the lifesize bear mount was done and dry! I was going to leave them as I figured the client would never notice but it drove me nuts cause it wasn't right and I had to rehydrate and replace one of the eyes. Many here will know what a pain in the A$$ it is replacing and resetting an eye in a mounted piece. Tohickon eyes are great but as with any eye make sure you check em out before installing. Just wanted to share this...

16. George

I guess I'll have to tell a story on Tohickon. This was years ago and right after they came out with the two "new" eyes that we referred to as the "Joe Meder" and the "Joe Coombs" eyes. The Coombs eye has a cast nictitating membrane on it. When I got my shipment in, the first set I picked up had two left eyes in it. None of the others had that problem, but with a $25 pair of eyes, I wasn't going to eat them and pretend it wasn't a problem. I called Tohickon.

I told the guy answering the phone that they had mistakenly packaged 2 left eyes together. The phone was quiet for a second and then I sensed this attitude in his voice as he said, "Sir, just turn the eye over and it will work fine." It caught me a bit off-guard and it took about 5 seconds of silence on my end to keep me from being pissed. I then asked him if he had a pair of Coombs eyes handy. He said that he didn't but he had the catalog. I told him to look at that catalog and tell me just how cute it would be to have one nictitating membrane on the bottom front corner on one side and on the upper front corner on the other side. More silence. Then in a quiet voice I heard, "Sir, if you send those eyes back I'll send you a matched pair."

17. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Just put a pair in a bison., their sharp

18. Tohickon

Tohickon New Member

That explains why my customer service guy was asking me if they were a dedicated right and left. LOL Glad to see that he followed through properly in the end.