1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fedex or UPS which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rudy Eppley, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Hey Everybody, I know this thread can go down a bad road but I want to keep it light and friendly.

Basically I keep getting some trouble from one of the Carriers listed above, just lost packages, address corrections and rate changes, that keep affecting the shipping cost. I am kind of hoping that I could just drop one of them, but before I did I thought I would come on here and see what you guys have to say about it. I have my preference, and only one company is the one causing all the trouble, but I am trying to leave my post unbiased so that it doesn't effect the vote.

I know the main problem for me is the lost packages, but also everytime I get these rate changes its because the carrier smashed the boxes and they gain what they call (dimensional weight) Which really makes me mad because its something I cant control, but they charge me more when it happens, which is usually every time. :( Then I have to spend time on the phone having them change the adjustment and its just getting to be more hassle then its worth.

So what are your thoughts,

UPS or Fedex

Thanks

2. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

They both suck but Fed Ex is the lessor of two to give rotten service and at slightly less cost.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

To me it's Kinda like who do like more Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton..... 8)

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Now that you're in Illinois, you should be shipping exclusively with SpeeDee to any of your customers in their delivery area. I know that isn't answering the question you asked, but it's the main reason that I haven't ordered much from you in the last few years. Now it looks like I'll have the option to order from you again.

5. For Sure Old Fart, its just that for the main shop and the distribution point not in spee-dee territory we are debating if we can get rid of one carrier.

Also It is standard to ship Spee-Dee if your in the territory, so if nobody says any preference we ship it Spee-Dee.

6. If Speedee isn't available I usually get deliveries from UPS. About half of the boxes that come from them have foot prints on the side and/or are caved in. I don't see that from fedex.

Bruce

7. gab

gab Active Member

UPS

8. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

FED-EX for me less damage and cost . . .

9. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

FED-EX FED-EX FED-EX

10. dablaw

dablaw Member

Now that your in Mt. Vernon my chevy truck is best..lol...Im in west Ky and UPS has never lost or damaged a single package from or to me..Maybe I have just been lucky...

11. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

UPS has lost packages for me, But they know if I'm not at the shop they can deliver to the school, and my wife, which is a teacher will pick it up. FedEx on the other hand will not, UPS for me.

12. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Fed Ex. Less damage to boxes and they work on Saturday.

13. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

Fed Ex or Speedee

Gary B.

14. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

We use SpeeDee whenever possible, however hundreds of our boxes now go by Fed-Ex. They stop at my shop twice a week and are on time everytime. In the last year I have had one damage claim. We don't use UPS because the wreck to many things and will not pay a claim. Also I got an exellent shipping rate through Fed-Ex.
    Clair

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

FedEx is by FAR the better choice for me.

16. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I prefer fedex. I have no real interest in either. They are both rough on packages. I did have a duck mount damaged by fedex. They sent me a check for the entire cost of the mount without asking if it could be repaired and refunded the shipping costs. All I had to do was contact them, fax them a copy of the invoice, and they picked the mount up from the customer. A few days later, it returned to my shop with a check attached. With that, they earned the spot as the lesser of two evils in my book.

17. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork [email protected]

I used to use fed ex for everything until 1 out of every 5 peds started getting broke. They paid, but it was just getting me further behind having to rebuild stuff. they didnt scratch it, they would destroy a pedestal. I switched to Ups in January and have yet to have a damaged box. I have an account manager that stays in touch to see if everything is going ok and if there is anything he can do to help.Got a lot better rates than fedex based on how much Im shipping.I NEVER put the word taxidermy on a box. I learned that when I first started shipping pedestals.I always send in the individuals name, not the shop name.As soon as I print a label, it triggers a pickup. I can have 1 a week or 5 if I need them. I could only get fedex here once a week most of the time.

18. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The guy who runs Fed-Ex here told me he "owns" the route and acts kind of like a private contractor. UPS are all company drivers. No deliveries = no money for the Fed-Ex guy. Plus he is really cool and will go out of his way to make sure my boxes are out of the weather if nobody is home. He takes them to a storage building behind my house and leaves me a note on the door. I never had UPS do that, they didn't seem to care where they leave a box. Knock on wood, I have yet to have a problem with Fed-ex. But to be fair I have to say, in all my years of receiving stuff via UPS I think I might have had two problems. McKenzie doesn't even ask if I want UPS any longer. Usually they say, "Is Fed-ex OK?" I would assume they have it in their computer now.

Of course if Spee Dee came to my area, the price would almost certainly make me switch (or at least try them).

Vic

19. I'm really glad everyone is saying Fedex. UPS is the one giving me troubles.

I know UPS is the standard of shipping, but I do think UPS is harder on the boxes. Also we get the same discounts from both companies, and we pass the discounts on, so for us and anyone that buys from us they get the same price.

So with cost not an issue is Fedex still everyone's preference?

For us I like Fedex for what catgear is mentioning. Fedex delivers on Saturdays, thats huge with us. But the other thing to is Fedex dosent even measure our packages, were always getting adjustments from ups about box size corrections. All it is is UPS keeps smashing the box and making the dimensions larger, I still find it hard to understand why thats my problem. But still they charge me $60.00 for when the box is over their 130 threashold. Which actually sucks because our 4 form box is right at 127, any smaller and we cant get 4 forms in so it has to be that big.

Kind of a bad spot for us, maybe people need to shoot smaller deer, lol

For those that said UPS, was it a common occurrence to why you choose UPS or was it one just really bad incident?

20. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I have never had any problem with UPS. My driver is a hunter/fisherman, and usually chats a while will making deliveries. I have a ups store down the block so outgoing shipping is easy and convenient also. But go with whoever works for you and your business Rudy.