1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Knife

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by True Texan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. True Texan

True Texan Member

Just bought a double handle fleshing knife. This thing is super dull or I dont understand the proper techniques on how to use this tool. How do you sharpen a knife like this?

2. wvboy4444

wvboy4444 Member

I am not sure if this is good info,im sure some experienced guys can answer alot better than me,but i dont think they are supposed to be razor sharp,i read an article that said beginners should start with a duller fleshing knife :D

3. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

A duel knife is asking for trouble, they tare instead of cut, I would much rather have a new scalpel blade than one I have used on 20 deer. I wish I could help on the sharping side, but I have one as well with no edge to it.

4. I have a duel-handled blade as well and they are supposed to be dull. A shapened blade will cause you to accidently slice your cape when you are fleshing. Most of the time, you will find people telling you to keep it dull by grinding it.

5. Also, a good video to watch would be on YouTube. Search "Beginners Taxidermy - Fleshing Part 5 " and scroll to the 5:50 mark.

6. True Texan

True Texan Member

That is a great video. My fleshing isnt going anything like that at all. Thanks for the comments.

7. you push the meat off. Its hard to explain, Once you get it started,its closer to scraping the meat than slicing. Like said you can really cut a lot of whole with "too sharp "of fleshing Knife if your not use to the correct angle of attack.

8. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

After you do a couple of hundred, you'll prefer a sharp blade.

9. I want my fleshing knife razor sharp!!!

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I keep mine razor sharp with a steel. I don't have a problem with slicing the hide. I do a kind of push/slice movement and the meat, fat, and membrane come right off.

11. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I also want mine razor sharp also. It's just like anything else, the more you do the easier it is. Take your knife to a shop that sharpens mower blade's , they should be able to put a sharp edge on it.

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

X2

13. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Razor sharp here also!

14. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Getting to big stuff with a curved bladed fleshing knife one handle.And I like to get the rest with scissors and scalpel.

15. When my flesher gets dull I just go to Tractor Supply and buy another Turbo tip for my pressure washer.