1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

**Just reminder** 150+people face federal charges for online wildlifetrafficing

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by mjvaden, Jul 18, 2013.

1. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Just a friendly reminder to keep you nose clean. Know your state and federal laws befor you buy or you could very well end up like the 150 people below.

WASHINGTON -- More than 150 people face federal and state charges after authorities disrupted online wildlife trafficking operations involving tiger, leopard and jaguar pelts, elephant ivory and live birds.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced the arrests Thursday after an undercover operation that included officers from 16 states, three federal agencies and three Asian countries.

Items seized under "Operation Wild Web" include the pelts of endangered big cats such as the Sumatran tiger, leopard and jaguar; live migratory birds such as the California scrub jay; whale teeth; elephant and walrus ivory; and a zebra pelt.

"Our message is clear and simple: The Internet is not an open marketplace for protected species," said Edward Grace, deputy assistant director for law enforcement for the Fish and Wildlife Service.

Working with counterparts in California, Texas, New York, Florida and Alaska and other states, federal officials targeted illegal wildlife sellers who operate through Craigslist, eBay and other Internet marketplaces and classified ads. Wildlife officers in Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia ran similar operations at the same time.

The items were seized last August, although charges are still being brought in many cases. Six Southern California residents were charged Thursday with selling endangered species and animal parts, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said.

"As a major platform for the illicit trade in wildlife, the Internet has become a dangerous place for animals," said Jeff Flocken, North American regional director for the International Fund for Animal Welfare, an advocacy group that worked with the federal task force.

"Wildlife crimes are not only harmful to endangered species, they also pose serious threats to national and global security," Flocken said.

Illegal wildlife trade generates an estimated $19 billion a year worldwide and ranks fourth on the list of the most lucrative global illegal activities behind narcotics, counterfeiting and human trafficking, the animal welfare group said in a report last year.

Federal laws regulating the sale of wildlife include the Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act; the Marine Mammal Protection Act and the Lacey Act, which prohibits trade in wildlife, fish and plants that have been illegally taken, transported or sold.

Other states involved in "Operation Wild Web" were Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, Oregon, New Jersey and Rhode Island.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/12/operation-wild-web-animal-trafficking_n_3586160.html

2. Ted

Ted Member

zebra pelt? I know someone that sold one he had shot years ago. Are zebras endangered?

3. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Mountain zebras are illegal as well as greys zebra.

4. Skull Collector

Skull Collector New Member

I agree with a lot of these laws and yes they do protect the wildlife. Sometimes it's true that innocent people are victims also. I know that myself will look on eBay and see a bear skull for sell. I can't buy it so I look at their state they reside in and if I know it's illegal I'll send them a msg. Countless times I get a thank you so much I didn't know that. As a collector of various things I have had to educate myself and had to contact the authorities to see if I'm within legal rights to own something. Just be careful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gnccracer291

gnccracer291 New Member

How do you find out what skulls are illegal?

6. elkwallow

elkwallow New Member

Michael,
    That is great information. I have found that locating information pertaining to state laws more than difficult regarding the sale, picking up and transportation of items.....such as bighorn sheep. I live in Oregon and have asked a number of different wardens.....have found that you get as many different responses per request. These laws per state and federally need to be made more available with easier access.....some people just don't know or have any idea what these laws are....AND I'm sure people get tired of trying to search for this information. I know that it is the responsibility of the individual......but WHY not make it easier for people to find these laws. I know I have spent time trying to google laws for the state of Oregon....it is very difficult. If you have any advice or websites that would be greatly appreciated.

7. Are you sure about the Mtn. Zebras being illegal......TO IMPORT or TO HUNT? Going to Namibia this coming July and one is on the list..........Buzzi

8. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Buzzi, sorry for the confusion they are legal to hunt and import as a "private sport hunted trophy" as long as your paperwork is in order...... But they are illegal to sell once they have been imported and illegal to import unless the imported is also the hunter of the animal.

Mike