1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The KROWTANN Bear

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jim tucker, Jul 19, 2013.

1. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

It has come up on this forum many times..."Can you Krowtann a bear?" Many arguments have been had over this subject. However this is NOT a thread for those. I am asking those that "don't like Krowtann" to keep out of it. I am merely posting it for INFORMATION purposes for those who may wish to try doing it. Those of you that just HAVE to try and derail every thread please feel free to kiss off. ;D

Cost:

Krowtann - $25.00
    Salt - 4.23
    Tannery Degreaser - 4.96
    Baking Soda - 1.50

Total---------------------- $35.69(let's just say $40)

This was a good size, half life size bear. I used a 5 gallon mix of WT formula Krowtann according to the instructions. The bear was fleshed as clean as you can get a bear initially and place in the solution for 7 days rotated by pulling the whole hide out of the solution daily. The bear was drained and this batch of Krowtann was discarded because let me tell you it was a mess.

I then mixed up Tannery Degreaser according to instructions for GREASY HIDES and place the drained hide in the solution for 6 hours, the longest re comended time. It was then hung up and drained. It felt nice and clean. I have to say that every time I have used Tannery Degreaser it worked wonders.

I then mixed a new batch of Krowtann and place the hide back in the clean solution where it sat 3 more days.

It was then neutralized with water and baking soda. This spot is where I think most go wrong with Krowtann. Neutralization cannot be "timed" it is more of a feel thing. It takes a knowledge of tanning and how a hide looks and feels when properly "READY" to be finished in this step.

It was then washed well and finished per Krowtann instructions.

I have to say that I will still send out most bear hides as it is really not time effective to deal with a bear "in shop", but for those times it is necessary to do one in house it can be done and with good results.

Attached Files:

2. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Im with ya Jim I have done several, except i used regular Krowtann not whitetail formula.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Truth be told that's what I happened to have. :D I really don't notice a difference between the two.

4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    So now you are doing wholesale bear tanning ? Great, I can send you some to do for me. LOL Looks like a great price !!

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

NO WAY! I don't like to work that hard. ;D

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I got a dvd on mounting a bobcat by Brian Harness and in it he was showing how to Krow tan and he had a bear back skin on the floor that was slipping before he tanned it and the Krow tan stopped the slip and he was using it for his dog to lay on. He tanned it back when he was developing the Krow tan. It still had hair on it, so I didn't doubt it could be done. I'd rather send them out because all that grease is something I don't want to deal with. By the way , that bear looks great.

7. kyddm

kyddm New Member

Here is my first bear mount done with Krowtann. Your bear looks great Jim.

Attached Files:

8. fougair

fougair New Member

This bear was krowtanned select the jpg file and open to zoom in close.

Attached Files:

9. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

Good looking bear Jim

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. tjl1625

tjl1625 New Member

My tanner has done several bears for me in the
    Regular formula and they turned out great
    I was really pleased

11. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Im like u guys. I've krowtanned bear, bison, steers, hogs. You name it. I will never understand some peoples issues with it.

12. Im glad someone besides me loves Krowtann its just crazy how easy it is to use and if most taxidermist were like me I try to do the best job I can. Just last year I saved almost 2500 dollars by in house tanning all my small game meaning coyotes bobcats beaver coon foxes. Ill never send another hide to tannery as long as they sell Krowtann

13. RTF

RTF Active Member

I have been a Lutan F guy for years. This past fall I bought some Krowtann to experiment with. I decided to tan a beaver in it. After fleshing the beaver I salted it for 24 hours then washed it in cool water with Dawn. Drained it and threw it into the Krowtann. I left it in the tan for over 3 months while agitating it daily. Finally got around to pulling it out and neutralizing it then washing it in Tide. Let me tell you what. After stretching that beaver out on a board with some Protal rubbed in and allowing it to dry, I got some of the best leather I have ever dealt with. Nice white stretchy leather was the end result. I was very, very impressed with the product. So I told myself that was too easy and wanted to see if I could destroy a red fox pelt I had in the freezer. Took it out fleshed it, threw it in some dawn soapy water then into the krowtann and basically forgot about it. A few months later took it out, neutralized it followed by a wash with Tide. Again I applied some Protal and allowed it to dry. End result was as good if not better a factory tanned pelt IMO. I am sold on this product and will always have a bottle on the shelf.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I threw a deer cape in KT one time, agitated it for three days and then didn't even take the lid off for 15 months. When I did finally finish it, it came out perfect. I mean PERFECT.

If you are a full timer you are crazy to tan your own though. The money's in the mountin'.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Good mounts gentlemen!

16. Hey Clifftax, if you don't mind me asking, did you mount the beaver or was it a wall hanger? The reason I ask is I've got a beaver in the freezer that the customer wants tanned up for a wall hanger. I was thinking about using Krowtann.

17. Please stop bragging so much....I don't need another price increase on a taxidermy product. :)

18. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Sorry for the Krowtan interuption. If you want a nice soft wall hanger, skip the krow tan and Do yourself a favor and get Trubond 1000b. You wont be disappointed.

Will

19. RTF

RTF Active Member

Wall hanger

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I hate to interrupt this love fest, but its pretty obvious most of you don't have a clue about chemistry and little about "tanning". ANY STRONG ACID SOLUTION WILL STABILIZE A HIDE AND "STOP SLIPPING". A HIDE PROPERLY NEUTRALIZED AFTER AN ACID BATH WILL RETAIN GOOD "STRETCH". AND FINALLY, ANY HIDE PLACED IN A LOW PH SOLUTION CAN STAY THERE FOR EXTENDED PERIODS AS BACTERIA DOES NOT SURVIVE IN ACID. GEEZ!!!!