1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The ups and downs of competing.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Matt Marulli, Jul 21, 2013.

1. I have been playing "the game" for a long time and those of you who klnow me know where I stand. I have done well over the years and I have also had my lumps, all taken in stride. This year I commited myself to going to the worlds and going all in with no expectations but just enjoying myself. To my suprise I took a 3rd in masters with an average score of 93 (94,94,91)with a small mammal. I was pumped and already plan on going back in two year.

Fast forward 1 month to our state show. I score a 95 in division of excellence and I finally win my first Breakthrough and the UTA Artisan award, I finally pulled it off, I was happy to say the least.

I figured there has to be some way for me to get this piece to the Nationals. This could finally be the year for my Blue and my Award of Excellence. Well my friend Fred barilla told me he was going and he would take it for me. Awesome news! Its really happening I thought this could definately be the year. Well, yesterday I get a text from Fred that I had recieved a Second. My response to that text was "oh well, how did you do?

I just dont read into things and get myself down, because we all know when you pay to play you are paying for someones opinion. And we all know the saying about opinions. I think the only down side to the nationals for me was not being able to be there and get my critique.

I guess what I am trying to say is you never know when it will be your day or when it wont. Just do it anyway, there are far more positives to gain than the negatives.

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Yep....you'll have that.

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I LOVE that damn pig!!!!

4. Thanks Mike.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

5. Damage

Damage Pull the wool over your own eyes!

Seconded!

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

We all have to realize when you take your mount to a different show it starts from zero again, different eyes, different opinions. I loved the pig. In the 90's I had a bass that scored 92,94,91 at state shows, I took it to Nationals and it scored a 68.

7. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

For what it's worth I really enjoy seeing photos of that pig it is awesome !

8. MRTaxidermy

MRTaxidermy Past President of the N.E.A.T.

Very well put Matt! You did one helluva job with that piglet. "Congratulations" on winning the Breakthrough Award...very well deserved.

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Looks like a trend...in the 90's I had a badger that scored 95,97,93 and 70 at the NTA. ;D ;D

10. Matt also just got the Breakthrough Award at the Garden State Show NJ last weekend. It was an honor to be a judge & pick that for the that Award. Congrats Matt.

Your Friend from NY

Gregg I

11. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This was an amazing piece! I couldn't stop looking at it.

12. Matt, when I went by the pig it actually caught me by surprise! Being raised on a farm I know what a baby pig looks like, WOW! is all I could say, I really appreciate the talent and effort that you put into the mount, and I think is was representative of the overall experience at the Baton Rouge show, thanks to guys like yourself I have something to look forward to in my work.
    David

13. Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone. This was a really fun piece to work on and I am really happy with what I was able to accomplish.

Matt

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I love that pig :)

15. boxerpet

boxerpet Harry Paulson-grateful

That piglet caught every ones eyes. Had to go back and see it over and over.
    Truly a great job.

16. Miss Lola is completely charmed by your little Wilber. Looks like he's just waiting for Charlotte to start spinning her web for him at the fair.

We have a Miss Piggy, AKA Superpig, whom we all love dearly. And now we have a Mr. Piglet. ;D ;D