1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NTA President John Janelli

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jul 21, 2013.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Any of you who've been here more than a day or two, know that John and I have enjoyed a tumultuous relationship over the years. I've busted his chops dozens of times and he's made me so mad I could spit, but I've never doubted John's love for the industry and the bond that the two of us seem to share.

I just want it said for the record, he's still one helluva guy to have on your side. What he's done for the NTA can't be spelled out, but though he may pretend to be modest and say he doesn't want the credit, each of you needs to know that the ship was adrift and John reached out and though he was threatened with "being fired", he's managed to control the wheel and get us here.

I spoke to him a couple hours ago as he was leaving the show. He gave me a recap and I was almost in tears realizing that OUR NTA is back in control of the members. I am likely to screw this up and I hope John C corrects the mistakes, but you shouldn't have to wait to hear the beauty of this.

Director of the Year (chosen by the President and VP) went to EVERY FAITHFUL BOARD MEMBER PRESENT.

National Taxidermists Hall of Fame inductees were the late Brian Harness and Larry Blomquist.

Both Mike Orapollo and Craig Lewis were presented awards for their service to the NTA during the conversion.

JJ recognized the host state association. He also donated an invaluble artifact (An elephant foot tray mounted by Carl Akeley for President Theodore Roosevelt) to Safari Club International for permanent display at their headquarters with the NTA donor lable on it.

He recognized EVERYONE there and noted the contributions of the United Taxidermists Association from the podium. He told me the others he'd recognized but they were so many and we were both emotional so I FORGOT. Anyone who has a complete list, I do hope you'll post it.

Neatest of all, John swore to me that for every day of the show, he wore a DRESS SHIRT, TIE, SLACKS, and DRESS SHOES. Imagine that.

I'm fully aware that one person doesn't make grand things happen but I know that's it's so much easier to follow someone willing to step up in a time of crisis and LEAD. So you you, John Janelli, this post is to say THANK YOU. I just wish I'd have been there.

2. Yes, JJ wore ties and dress shoes, looked like a true Professional. Way to many things were going on for me to take down a list.

I looked at that elephant foot tray, awesome piece of history.

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Great Post George. Great Job NTA. JJ is "the Man".

4. I'm so proud of my "little brother" that I could just SPIT!!! Way to go JJ... Um, Carol, make sure his head can fit through the door when you get him home... *snicker*

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

JJ has had NTA blood since he was a kid, we are very lucky indeed.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I too just spoke to JJ. He's on a cloud. Something George left out that needs to be passed on. JJ recognized Ken Edwards and the Taxidermy.net membership and gave great kudo's to all the regulars here who kept the burners turned up on the situation, and THEN...........Ken Edwards sat down at the piano and roasted John Janelli with a song.

What song? Bridge Over Troubled Waters. How fitting.

Please listen to the song and imagine the turmoil JJ, and Carol, have been put thru and How Ken Edwards made known to JJ that he has friends and it now is his turn to shine.

Thank YOU Ken Edwards. Very touching. I can't imagine there being a dry eye in the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjNgn4r6SOA

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm gonna make a post tomorrow giving my views of the show (I'm tired and fixing to go to bed!! :) ), but this is one of the funnest shows I have attended! Not one slice of drama on the air! The banquet was MUCH larger than I expected, the seminars were PACKED! The suppliers all seemed happy!

I'm not gonna lie and say everything was perfect, 2 showed complete disrespect & non professionalism when they packed their bags & went home because the 'members' got their way & they did not. I guess what pisses me off about it is these were 2 of the Crain Cronies who were screaming that those of us that wanted change were actually trying to 'kill' the NTA. Tinker Johnson & Bill Haynes walked out on a show when the NTA needed strong board members, even with different views. They abandoned ship in hopes it would sink, we all stayed & kept it afloat. I hope that shows EVERYBODY who were doing things for personal reasons and didn't care if the NTA died or not as long as it was 'their way'.

Actually on hindsight, I give Bill a pass. I know he's older & his wife is not in the best of health so maybe he thought 'its better to go home with his wife & not deal with any BS'. I give him a total pass. Tinker told some really bad lies on many of us & skipped out of the building before we could ask him about them. Same man who said he got his legal education writing up Article 15's for officers when he was an enlisted man in the marines long ago....... something's never change.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

JJ and his team did a great job in making the convention a success. We had a great time! I even got a big ol' hug and a kiss on each cheek by the prez, LOL!

9. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I'm very pleased with all of this and all of the board . Thank you all for saving the NTA for future generations and the industry .
    John, you did a remarkable job , I'm very proud of you and Carol, your a team .
    Richard

10. Bill Haynes

Bill Haynes New Member

I did not leave because I wanted to. My wife of 57 years was having problems, and I needed to get her back to familiar surroundings.

11. chrisfeldt

chrisfeldt New Member

Antlerman: I couldn't agree more. Both Mr. Janelli and Mr. Edwards were amazingly courteous and Ken is an outstanding piano player. It was my first NTA show but the camaraderie and kindness of everyone made it an awesome experience. Kudos to everyone who was there!

12. michael p.

That's why I said what I did. Hope things get better, sad I missed you. Maybe next year, it'll be bigger & better after all the positive comments from vendors and participants at the show!

13. BEAVERS

BEAVERS New Member

Hopefully tinker was not recognized as the officer or director of the year like the others were......:-

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Bill, I hope your wife is OK. 57 years is a long time and my dear parents made it to 61 before my Mother went to the Lord a week ago. May your remaining years be happy and stress free.

15. michael p.

X2!!!!

16. After a very long time, I joined the NTA! The catalyst was men like Mr. Kulis, John, Larry, and the taxidermists from all over the country striving and working to make the NTA the very best it can be. The convention in Baton Rouge was my first, and I was not disappointed, the positive attitude and overall energy of everyone was outstanding.
    I believe the Baton Rouge show is the turning point for the NTA, taxidermy has been good to me over the years with some of the best friends and experiences I've ever had.
    My NTA window decal shines with pride and excitement, lets keep moving.
    David Cavaretta
    Bayou Taxidermy and Hunting Inc.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Couldn't have said it better. Bill, Jean will be in my prayers and so will you.

18. Bill Haynes

Bill Haynes New Member

Thanks, guys. Jean is doing good. Getting her home was a top priorty