1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

a little wisdom for new guys

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gab, Jul 22, 2013.

1. gab

gab Active Member

I go to a few shows every year and pick up new clients that have been using other taxidermists that tell me they are changing over to me or if not me someone else.NOT ONCE have they cited quality of work as the reason they're leaving.doesn't answer phone,doesn't return calls doesn't meet promised turnaround,ignores small requests etc. etc.,but never has poor quality been the reason they leave.
    The moral of this story is if you spend all your time working on quality and not paying attention to your clients,you will fail.It costs a lot of money to bring in a new client to replace old clients.

I decided to share this after going to a hunting show this weekend and having a beautiful booth with nice work in it and not one person that said they were changing to me even mentioned the quality of work.It's always because they're not 'feeling the love' from their taxidermist.

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Yup, I agree. I think you could use some brown DonJour flock on a mannikin, couple marbles for eyes, the rack and if you beat the cost of another taxidermist or otherwise kiss the customer's a$$, you're golden. Very few know their butts from a hole in the ground.

3. gab, I agree to a point,however, the newbes still have to understand quality keeps the customers,i just finished doing a rebuild for a guy that waited 2 years to get his WT mount back and couldn't stand to look at it on the wall (ears,ear butts,finish work) all bad.
    A customer may not notice the little things right away,but they will after its been on display for a couple of days. You still have to do quality
    work to keep customers. Word of mouth can make ya or break ya

4. gab

gab Active Member

the point I was trying to make is you can go to all the shows you want and impress as many other taxidermists with ribbons you want,but if you cannot communicate with customers and meet your obligations it doesn't matter one iota.I can list a huge number of extremely talented taxidermists that can barely make ends meet because they won't take care of business.With a lot of them it's arrogance.the client should be honored to have them doing their work and they are much too talented and important to be bothered with telephone calls and meeting deadlines.
    with others it's just the fact that as an artist their brain doesn't work that way.

5. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

The first taxidermist I used did excellent work and was on the expensive side, but I didn't mind at all. He lost my business because he was a rude, arrogant prick. Unless I'm mounting an African safari trophy or a buck of my lifetime, there's no way I would consider using him again.

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

met my new naber today. says he hunts and fishes. got buddies that do the same. so i handed him a few biss. cards to hand out. he was pleased to get them. they are complaning about taxidermy's not calling them back or taking to long. i explained the to long part the best i could. but not calling back. well. that i couldn't. so i think i got me some new customers. stay in touch.it may bring you more work.