1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many more yall got to do .

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by striker12, Jul 22, 2013.

1. striker12

striker12 Member

some one tell me I'm not the only one that is worried about not getting a small break between the 12-13 seasons. I still got 30 to do out of 206 deer . & 8 turkey . Am I slow or is this a good pace ? I do all my own tanning nothing sent out . I think that's going to change this year. what do y'all think ? not sure how to do it . should I keep a few to keep me going so i'm not waiting the skins to come back , hire someone to do the skins or just keep doing them my self? i've got to figure this out I need a faster turn around time . I' m starting to get calls asking is my deer done yet .
    Should I call the ones I haven't got to yet and tell them I haven't forgot about them i'm working on them and they should hear from me soon

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

I only took in 30 and I just mounted the last 2 last week and I still have 2 pheasants to do. I krowtann all of mine

3. gab

gab Active Member

350,but only about 150 are from deer season.we get in quite a bit off season stuff

4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I couldn't tell you how many pieces we have left to mount because it never ends. What I mean is that there is never a time we are completely done and nothing to do, LOL.
    We have lots of African and other out of country animals to do yet..
    But as far as deer goes, we have around 20 left to do but the whitetail ranches we do work for start hunting around mid August. So we will be taking in deer next month already !!
    To answer you other questions, yes you might want to sit down & go over figures to see what would work better for you as far as your tanning goes or hiring some help for in the shop.
    None of us can tell you exactly because only you know how much you take in and what other animals you do. I know you said 206 deer & 8 turkeys. But is that all you took in or others ?
    So sit down, do the figures and I am sure you will make it work. Good luck.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've got about 45 pieces left to do out of the 386 I've taken in so far for the 2012-13 season. Took in three deer a few weeks back.

6. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

About 20 deer 4 elk and some misc stuff, I think you are doing pretty good if you are doing all your own tanning.
    I used to but it's not worth it.
    Send out your first few in batches of 15 or 20 and find a tannery with a good turn around time. I flesh and salt all of mine when they come in I don't freeze anything.
    I pay my son 20 a cape to flesh and salt and 40 per cape for tanning.
    I work full time so all my time is spent mounting.

7. WFT

WFT New Member

15 whitetail and 3 bobcats

8. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

2 whitetail 1 Axis 1 Sika left ,maybe I can catch up doing my mounts before the deer season starts ! Thats a good number of mounts.Do you have help?I would call the remaining coustomers and let them know you are running behind,thats just good business.

9. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

4 deer and alot of other stuff....DC

10. 32 deer, three aoudad, two axis, two red stag, a small safari with 4 animals, couple lifesize deer....and all my stuff from the last 4 years. No break here either. I tan my stuff in house as well but for the life size and some African hides. Most of my tanning is done on these animals, just need to get them done.

11. striker12

striker12 Member

Joey, are you a one man show doing all the tanning and everything ?

12. About 20 Whitetails, 11 Bear, and another 15 between Fox, Coyote, and other small stuff.

13. I do all my tanning as well and im a one man shop. I always have 3 tanning at all times once the 3 are shaved and tan 3 more are ready to shave and tan. as long as you stay on top of things and dont let them get ahead of you, you will be fine. I have 2 auodads a corsican a jacobs four horn and a boar left. But they come in steady. There is never an end in sight which is a good thing.

14. We just finished the last of 170 deer about 2 1/2 weeks. now we got about 60 ducks, 15 full turkey mounts, and 2 lifesize bears to go and we will be finished. we will still be working when deer season kicks in. opening day of bow season starts on aug 15, and rifle season on sept 1.

15. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Work also comes in year round here but only have21 deerheads left, 2 largemouths, 2 bluegills, 2 crappies, 1grouse, 3 pheasants, 2 turkeys, 5 ducks, 1 marten, 1 bobcat, 1 red fox, 1 coyote, and one buffalo (shoulder mount). Trying to get wrapped up soon. Have been swamped for a few years now, this fall will be dedicated to only taking work in, hunting, fishing and spending a quality christmas with my 2 daughters.

Best, Steve

16. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I have 8 deer, 2 turkeys, 2 bears and couple odds and ends...nothing to big...i took around 65 deer for 2012 season...do my own tanning

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app

17. As a taxidermy customer, I would say if nothing else, a phone call to some of your clients to let them know that you haven't "forgotten them" would be much appreciated (if you have the time...you seem to be super busy!). One of our taxidermists told us that our mount would be ready by April, and come the middle of June, we had to call him and he said "ooooh yeah....I'll start yours next week!" ...as if we had to remind him that we dropped off a deer to him.
    The following week...."what's your name again? oh, let me look and I'll call you back" (No call back)
    The week after "oh yeah...did you want that broken antler fixed? Give me another week"

...we still haven't heard from him, and needless to say, we probably won't use him again, mainly due to poor customer orientation.

Moral of the story...(and I know not everyone may think this way)...just keep your customers in mind. We get very excited about getting mounts back...and would atleast like to know where you are in your work as it pertains to our mounts.

:)

18. striker12

striker12 Member

glad to see I'm not the only one that still has a ways to go . I called most of the people today and let them know that I was running a bit behind and that I didn't for get about them . they all seemed to be understanding and thanked me for the call . even had a couple tell me to take my time they weren't ready for the payment yet anyway . I have to say if you have never done that . [call them that is ] I would say do it . I will from now on .

19. 55 wt ,4 axis,1fallow, 12 LS bobcats, 1 elk, 30ish ducks, 3 turkeys . Stuff still coming in. Drought I get a break before it starts all over again.
    I'm not behind right where I projected from the start.

20. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

I don't do this full time. I have 2 WT left, approx 15 LS mammals from coyote to raccoon to... yeah. Roughly 4 ducks, 3 geese, 7 fish and a half dozen skulls and one elk antler mount. I just moved so I don't expect much to come in this fall either. :(