1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cottonmouth reference

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by John C, Jul 22, 2013.

1. http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/video-worlds-largest-cottonmouth/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=July+22+2013+Daily+Newswire+%281%29&utm_content

I was not saying anything about the size, but look at the head, way different than the one I see mounted.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Seriously?

It is not that long and it appears to have just eaten something. I don't understand why the publicity on an average looking cottonmouth? Ignorance is bliss. I loved the comment by the female that said she ran over a 6 ft copperhead. HEE HAW!

It is obviously not a huge cottonmouth at all.

:)

Kerby...

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Re: Cottonmouth refernce

Having grown up with cottonmouths and actually caught and sold them in an earlier life, I have to agree with Kerby. It looks like an OLD snake. My granddad called them "cudgel-tailed moccasins". This one looks like some I've seen that were about 4 feet long and thick as your arm. I've had enough up close and personal accounts with too many of them to think I may have missed one over 5.5 or 6 feet. Methinks someone's ruler is off.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I hate moccasins. A guy here got bit by one a few years ago, and he suffered terribly from it. I stay far and away from them if at all possible.

5. jay72

jay72 Member

Here is a well cared for long term captive that is over 5 ft

Attached Files:

• -2.jpg
      -2.jpg
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
  6. jay72

jay72 Member

Another picture from a licensed wildlife facility in South Florida:

Attached Files:

• -3.jpg
      -3.jpg
      File size:
      89.7 KB
      Views:
  7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Would love to have a nice cotton mouth as I have a wild boar and thinking of incorparating it into a mount.

8. Re: Cottonmouth refernce

the two biggest I've seen in the wild were both 6' 2" with no heads One was shot by me in the Big Cypress Saw his tail move as I apporached a downed deer in thigh deep water. thought it was a gator!! til I looked again and the next year I got one from a friend , Tanned both and had them "forever". But this was in the late 1960's here in Florida, now a 5 footer is HUGE. Foxy
    Duxdown e/mail me offlist [email protected] I usually have some cotton mouths in the freezer.

9. Re: Cottonmouth refernce

Not a great photo but here is one I came across a few weeks ago checking game cams. 4 1/2 feet.
    [​IMG]

Another 3 1/2 feet

[​IMG]