1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What casting kit is best for multiple casts?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by elkhunter1313, Jul 23, 2013.

1. I have a bunch of snakes in my freezer...cottonmouths rattlers and copperheads...I am thinking of getting into the replica business rather than tyring to skin mount each snake...I also live close to a McKenzie supply house so I am wondering for those of you who do the casting from a single mold MULTIPLE times...which is the best kit to get? I have looked at alginate, polymer, and silicone but not sure which way to go...

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Silicone.....

Silicone works well. It is flexible.

But making molds of snakes usually results in a reproduction that looks like a dead snake. Now if you were to mount the snake and then make a mold of that you would have better success.

The smaller the snake the easier it is to make a rubber mold. The bigger snakes get distorted after coming out of a freezer.

Good luck.

ps Here is a california kingsnake reproduction. The snake was a breeder that died and never went into the freezer. I took it straight from it's cage and made a silicone mold.

Kerby...

[​IMG]

3. so silicone is good for making multiple casts off an original mold...any specific type of silicone or just what i can grab off the shelf at Home Depot?

4. Kerby Ross

I use............

I use GI 1100 (Innovative Polyermers).

:)

Kerby...

5. seems to be a local supply...i'll look into it...got into the freezer today and i gotta say my smallest copperhead is looking a little freeze dried thin LOL...I gotta get on this quick

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You can freeze Reptiles in water. Fill a plastic bag or container with enough water to cover the specimen, and freeze. This will keep the cold air from drawing moisture out of your specimens.

Also, Platinum cure Silicone will last longer, and produce many more castings!

BITY Mold Supply carries Polytek Silicones, which are some of the best Silicones on the market today.
    http://www.shop.brickintheyard.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

They are also very helpful in answering questions you may have.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In my opinion flexible kit will be best for it and i think silicone is more flexible than others.So go for silicone

8. John...wish i had seen your helpful post...i got a "freeze dried" copperhead now LOL...i posed him and set him in the freezer...he still retains the pose but is slightly split about a 1/25 inch down the back...my guess is from moisture being drawn out

9. Kerby Ross

elkhunter........

I've never had that happen to any snake or lizard in the freezer.

:)

Kerby...