1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making buffalo horns 'shiny'

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Scullybcdali, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Scullybcdali

Scullybcdali New Member

I have a set of buffalo horns im attempting to mount on a plaque so they can go on my wall. Not huge (maybe 50-60cm each around the outside of the curve) but me and a good mate found it while mustering cattle on a station in northern australia, and ive since quit because my boss was an Bast.... Um.... Not very nice man, and I will probably never see my mate again, so the horns have sentimental value...

Anyway ive heard that sanding and buffing will make it shiney but i dont have a buffer so is it possible to sand it smooth then coat it in a sort of clear lacquer or varnish, kinda like you would with wood? I just wet one and it looks so much better so id like them to look constantly black and shiny, like they do wet...

Thanks for any help!!
    Mel

2. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

Sanding works great, start with a course grit, and then go finer the finer the grit the smoother they are, and then seal with what ever you want.

3. Ntflyfisher

Ntflyfisher New Member

I'm based in gove nt and have a friend that polished a 110 inch set of horns by hand to a perfect mirror finish. I mean perfect! I've tried it myself with similar results, working from 600 grit up to as fine as I can get in wet and dry sandpaper. Just keep in mind that to get a very polished surface you have to take a lot off the horn, you literally have to get every imperfection out if you want a mirror finish. I haven't got perfection, but I've gotten closed by buffing with a cloth after sanding as fine as I can go. Chuck up some photos so I can see how you're going with it!