1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #28

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Good Monday morning to all my fellow bird brains. It's time to start a new bird of the week and I hope everyone continues to post some of the amazing work we have seen over the last couple of weeks. Lets start off by introducing myself. My name is Brandon Zahn. I'm 29 years old from a small town on the Texas Gulf Coast. I have been doing taxidermy for five years now and have been full time now for two years. I specialize in birds(primarily waterfowl) but also do deer and gameheads as well as a few fish. I have also been guiding waterfowl hunts since i was 16 years old which is what got me started in Taxidermy so to speak. I am a self taught taxidermist who probably received the majority of my assistance from a combination of this site and going to taxidermy competitions. So lets get the ball rolling. Ill start with a pic of me and some of my work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

beautiful work brandon

3. bigworm

bigworm Member

Here is a widgeon I got finished up with still have a few birds to add to mount. [​IMG]

4. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Active Member

Great birds Brandon and congrats on your world show snow goose! Here's one I finished up last week...

Attached Files:

5. Museum Man

ryan, beautiful job and concept for your mount..

6. babak

babak Active Member

really great start!!very nice mounts!love that black!

7. A couple more finished today.... 8)

Attached Files:

8. ryan rhodes

Nice geese bird stuffer!

9. JBird

JBird Member

PHEW !! Finally I get a spare moment to participate - I wish I had time ( and memory ) to respond to the last couple weeks of posts - they have been incredible - however I know we mostly come on here to see the photo's and not read five pages of frivolity ;o) with that said

Brandon - HOLY DANG !! Only a few years (compared to some of the people on here) and your work is astonishing - just astonishing. I guess when "you got it - you got it" and sir - YOU GOTS IT !!!

Ryan - always a fan of your work - and I agree - great concept piece - very original.

I'm so glad that you posted again this week Birdstuffer because I've just been THRILLED with what you've been posting the last few weeks and these are no exceptions - you know i'm one of your biggest fans and will never get tired of stating such.

I've been wading through client work - which is always fun but I did get to pull out a personal bird which - in hindsite - may have been more than I can chew - it was a VERY long weekend - but - in the event anyone was curious what almost NINE FEET of wingspan looked like - I present one of the ugliest - and coolest birds out there - an african Marabou Stork

[​IMG]

10. ryan rhodes

Thanks everyone! Jbird that bird is COOL!!! You always have neat stuff!

11. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Hey guys, great posts so far. Dan Im already getting ready for early teal and the rest of this season. Waiting to see what the hatch reports are and see what the season predictions are. I know for one thing we need rain bad. We have the ability to pump well water but its always best to let Mother Nature do her thing( it seems right now she wants us to become a desert lol). Ryan great piece you have there with the black. Really like the concept.

Birdstuffer, great work on the geese. I know how hard it is to get those nasty birds clean and they sure are bright!

And JBird.....WOW! Largest thing I've worked on is Sandhill cranes and I don't envy you cause I know the chore it is to wire those big birds up..... That's just a lot of bird! Lol

Lets keep it up folks!

12. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

some more run ones..:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. IU Doug

IU Doug Member

Nice work all around! Those geese are awesome Birdstuffer......and where do we hang a 9 ft wingspanned bird Jbird??? ;D that thing is neat

14. Museum Man

stork is beautiful jbird......your geese look perfect birdstuffer, all of your work always looks great

15. kostas

kostas New Member

a little one again

16. This is my first Mandarin, I bought the bird with some Christmas money from my grandparents and I was going to take it to competitions this year. I worked on an elaborate base, studied reference, and finally began to put it together. It was a disaster and a disappointment when I trashed the thing repeatedly on the wheel, tore the whole butt/tail out, lost feathers, etc... Anyways I finally put it in the freezer, on the form, 90% mounted and just left it until I was done with competition and cleared some customer birds out. Took it out last week and finished it so to speak and put it on a simple base so it will fit on some new shelves in our living room. Now I can have a reminder of how much I still have to learn. One of those incidents where nothing goes to plan ::) Oh well, I learned a ton and will try it again someday.
    Now listen to me complaining and this bird had no where near a 9ft wingspan. I wouldn't even know where to start. (Well, probably either with a trashcan or a phone book to find someone else!)

[​IMG]

17. Sometimes I just want to keep my customers birds... 8)

Attached Files:

18. PercaFluviatilis

PercaFluviatilis ...I hunt , therefore I am...

Tufted duck

[​IMG]

19. Museum Man

great job on the tweety kostas

20. of course I didn't do the Bobcat...

Attached Files: