1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #29

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowler, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Good Monday afternoon guys and girls! Sorry I'm running a little late today but I guess it's hard to complain about being busy. We had some great birds turned in last week and I want to challenge everyone to keep up the great work and let's post some more awesome inspirational work! I will get some more pics of my own loaded as soon as I can but until then let's see some more beautiful bird work.

On top of what we typically post on botw....... Lets see everyone post the piece that they considered the most challenging to work on.

2. I posted these before, but it was a challenging piece.. Especially the white one.....

Attached Files:

3. ryan rhodes

ryan rhodes Well-Known Member

Cool birds! I bet they were a pain on the butt!!!

4. ryan rhodes

I just did these a couple weeks ago and brought them to the Kentucky show this past weekend... These are the first 2 kings I've ever done solo. I'd say of all waterfowl that I've done kings are the most difficult! But they sure are cool and fun to work on... I have 3 more mounted that aren't finished yet...

Attached Files:

5. Adam Edwards

Adam Edwards Member

Utah
    Nice Peacocks Tim, and thoose kings look awesome Ryan!

6. One from last weekends mini-competition.

Attached Files:

7. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

You can put a 50 gallon drug in a kings neck! Skin, skin, and more skin.

Love em. Lookin good.

As a recreational taxidermists, only kings I've gotten to do were my 3 and 4 for the guys that went to at Paul with me. Actually my pair were the birds I used for my class with Shane.

8. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Those kings are awesome. I've only done one and they are frustrating but are amazing birds. Great work everyone. As soon as I can figure out how to get my photos small enough to post I'll get a few up

9. ryan rhodes

Yeah eiders have a lotta skin! They're damn near 2 feet long when they're blow dried and ready to mount!!!
    Nice job on that pintail, they are my favorite duck to mount!

10. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Ok guys lets see if I can figure out how to post pics from my iPhone.
    [​IMG]

Customer pheasant

11. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Ok now that I got that working lets rock and roll. Lol

Great start to this week! Peacocks make such gorgeous mounts! Kings are definately challenging but Ryan you pulled those off nicely. And nice pintail with a little bling bling!

12. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Great start to the week 8)

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

beautiful birds ryan

14. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

Not a finished pic.... But probably one of my more challenging pieces. This was a immature Sandhill crane. It went with a pair that was jumping off of a third floor window ledge into a guys entertainment room....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. duckhntr594

duckhntr594 Duckin' & Pluckin' Taxidermy

Good stuff being posted already! Love that drake king and Brandon that Sandhill is awesome. Here's an unfinished redhead that sported a few pinfeathers in his head and neck. Something about waterfowl with red colored heads that make them hold pinfeathers throughout year
    [​IMG]

16. ryan rhodes

Cool Sandhills Brandon! Never done one but I bet they're tough! Thanks for the compliments!

17. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

wow, so much good posts at the beginning of the week, that is great, seems to come up much more the next days
    Tim, your peacocks are fantastic, did never one and I think, I dont want to
    Ryan, your kings look great, one of my favourite birds to get anytime
    Yogi, well done pintail, great mount
    Brandon, your sandhill looks like jumping up at the moment, superb action and pose, congratulations and
    duckhntr594, I dont know what you mean, that redhead is absolutely fantastic, love it
    from me this week, a European wigeon drake from last hunting season, you will not believe, but very difficult to get in good plumage here in south Germany and at least my first wigeon drake at all,

Rainer

Attached Files:

18. Banded Wigeon. 8)

Attached Files:

19. ryan rhodes

Love both wigeons! Mounted one Eurasian wigeon from Alaska, I've never shot one myself but I've seen a few on the east coast. Keep up the good work everybody!

20. This one is my most recent and most challenging. Can't decide if the low point was having to remove and rewash his neck and head after an extreme caulk incident, or crawling on the floor trying to find enough back feathers to glue into and hide the big ol' bare patch I accidentally created! You super-talented bird guys and gals could probably have made him look like nothing ever happened, but given how things were going I'm just happy he looks something like a merganser. ;D

[​IMG]